A teenager who was a member of a masked gang who stormed into a flat armed with machetes and a Samurai sword and attacked their victim has walked free from court.

The 15-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was one of four people who carried out the violent attack on the teenager and a girl who tried to intervene.

Witnesses saw the gang arrive in a taxi before donning balaclavas and forcing their way into the flat in Middlesbrough before slashing, punching, and kicking the teenager.

Teesside Crown Court heard how the defendant refused to name his accomplices after he was recognised by one of the victims.

Peter Sabiston, prosecuting, said: “The incident was witnessed by a man who saw four males get out of a taxi wearing balaclavas and enter the flat.

“He could see what was happening because it was dark outside and the light was on in the flats. He saw them go up the stairs and immediately heard screaming and shouting.

“He saw that at least one of them was holding a machete. He called the police and saw the males come out of the property.”

Mr Sabiston said the male victim suffered injuries to his body, hands, and legs, which resulted in him temporarily having to rely on a wheelchair.

The court heard how the teenage girl suffered cuts to her body when she jumped in amongst the gang to try and intervene in the violent attack.

“The attack stopped when they saw their victim was bleeding,” Mr Sabiston added. “Following the attack with the Samurai sword and machetes there was blood everywhere in the flat.”

In a victim impact statement, the teenager’s mother said her son was anxious to go outside now and was suffering from nightmares.

The Middlesbrough teenager pleaded guilty to wounding with intent, wounding, and possession of a bladed article - a machete which was used in the attack.

Paul Green, mitigating, said his client was not a leading member of the group who stormed the flat on West Lane, Middlesbrough, on May 11 last year.

He said: “He comes from a very supportive family which has no connections to criminal behaviour. He has shown genuine remorse in his pre-sentence report and he recognises the harm that he has caused.”

Judge Howard Crowson sentenced the teenager to an 18-month youth rehabilitation order with intensive supervision for 90 days and made him subject to a three-month curfew between 7pm and 7am.

“There was a large cut to the leg, I don’t want you to leave this court thinking it was just a leg cut – it is still a very serious injury,” he said.

See more court stories from The Northern Echo by clicking here

Get all the latest crime and court updates, for less than the price of a coffee, with a Premium Plus digital subscription to The Northern Echo. Click here

“I don’t blame you for not naming the other people, naming them could be very bad news for you.

“I think you are starting to realise that nothing good could come from behaving like this.

“In your pre-sentence report, you say you are very shocked by what you did but the probation officer was concerned that you would still mix with them.”

The teenager was also made subject of a five-year restraining order to keep him away from both victims.