A man has been taken to hospital after a crash on the A1(M) that saw a vehicle flip on its roof and the air ambulance attended the scene. 

Emergency services were called to the major A-road at around 11am on Monday (December 18), following reports of a single-vehicle collision. 

After arriving on the scene, police closed all lanes of the northbound carriageway so they could work at the scene, while the southbound carriageway was also sealed off to allow the air ambulance to land. 

As of 1.15pm, North Yorkshire Police confirmed that they were still at the scene, and issued a statement about the incident. 

A spokesperson for the police force said: "We are working at the scene of this single-vehicle collision, in which a car overturned. A man has been taken to hospital for treatment.

"Please avoid the area if possible, and follow local traffic news for further updates."

Teams from the Yorkshire Ambulance Service and the Yorkshire Air Ambulance also attended the scene, which saw traffic at a standstill for over two hours. 

At the time of writing, there are still three and a half miles of traffic built up on the A1(M), but National Highways have confirmed that one lane of three has reopened on the northbound carriageway. 

Recommended reading:

Get the latest news, sports, and entertainment delivered straight to your device with a subscription to The Northern Echo. Click here.

The Northern Echo:

A spokesperson for National Highways said: "Drivers in North Yorkshire are advised that the A1(M) is closed in both directions due to a single-vehicle collision. 

"The northbound carriageway between junctions 50 (Ripon) and 51 (Leeming Bar) was closed following the incident at around 11am today (Monday 18 December 2023).

"The southbound carriageway was also closed shortly afterwards. 

"Emergency services are at the scene and there are delays of 10-15 minutes in both directions. There are two miles of congestion on the northbound carriageway and one mile on the southbound carriageway."

Yorkshire Ambulance Service and the Yorkshire Air Ambulance have been contacted for further comment.