Images are now showing the devastating aftermath of a fire that tore through two properties in County Durham late last night (September 18).

Firefighters spent nearly two hours at 7pm on Monday battling the blaze with three fire engines on Bouch Street, Shildon, that spread over two properties.

Both of the terraced homes affected by the fire have seen extensive damage to the roof and its surroundings, as firefighters concluded both properties were derelict, meaning nobody was injured.

Read more: Police van on call collides with white BMW in Stockton

The Northern Echo: Bouch Street, Shildon.Bouch Street, Shildon. (Image: SARAH CALDECOTT)

The latest pictures from the scene now show a police cordon remains on the estate whilst enquiries are carried out into the cause of the blaze.

Yesterday (September 18) County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service group manager Michael Pearson said: “We were called at 7:15 to a derelict house on fire in Bouch Street, Shildon.

Read more: Firefighters tackle blaze at two terraced properties in County Durham village

“The fire was in a line of terraced houses and there were two properties affected through their roof spaces.

“The fire started in a derelict and boarded-up property, so there were no concerns about any people being there.

The Northern Echo: Bouch Street, Shildon.Bouch Street, Shildon. (Image: SARAH CALDECOTT)

“We had three appliances on the scene, as well as an aerial ladder platform to help us get to the roof space.

“The fire spread through the roof space to an adjacent empty property. Both properties had damage to the roof space.

“People came out of their houses to watch but there was no need to evacuate anyone.”

Get more content including the stories that matter to your community from The Northern Echo for just £1 for 1 month for a limited time only here.

Police have now confirmed there is an investigation underway into the cause of the fire.

A Durham Constabulary spokesperson said: "Police were called to reports of a fire at an address on Bouch Street, Shildon at 7.30pm last night (September 18).

"Officers assisted fire with the evacuation of several properties. Thankfully, nobody was inside.

"An investigation is currently ongoing, and a cordon remains in place."

The Northern Echo: