A teenager died in a police chase as he headed home from finding out the gender of his unborn baby, an inquest heard.

Kelvin Bainbridge died when he was hit by a police car in Spennymoor on October 18, 2019 after jumping from his own vehicle car while being chased by police.

He died of head injuries when he was struck, in a moment caught on harrowing dashcam footage.

Read more: Two in hospital after three-vehicle crash on County Durham road this morning

An inquest into the 19-year-old's death, expected to last two weeks, started at Crook Coroners Court on Monday (September 18).

At about 2.20pm on October 18, 2019, an off-duty police officer spotted Bainbridge driving a silver Nissan Primera on the A167. He was disqualified from driving and the time and wanted by police in connection with burglary offences.

He was in the car with his mum, on the way back from a scan at University Hospital North Durham where he had just found out his and his partner’s baby was to be a boy.

He had been “ecstatic” at the news, the inquest heard.

An off-duty cop who alerted control saw him driving into the car park of the Black Horse Inn pub, where a traffic cop travelled intending to speak to Bainbridge.

When the officer got there in a marked car Kelvin drove off “at speed”, Coroner Crispin Oliver told jurors.

As he made chase during a six-minute pursuit officers reached speeds upwards of 70mph.

Bainbridge also collided with a silver Renault but failed to stop.

He then jumped from the car while it was still moving and was struck by the police car which had been following him.

The distressing moment was recorded on police dashcam footage shown during the inquest on Monday.

Officers at the scene, paramedics and the air ambulance tried to save him, but he was pronounced dead at 3.01pm that afternoon.

His mum Suzanne was in the car during the chase. In a pre-prepared statement read in court she said: “The whole chase felt like it lasted forever and felt like we were going really fast, but I couldn’t say how fast it was.

“We were speeding through town, and it was 2.30pm in the middle of the day. I was screaming to Kelvin to slow down.”

Read next:

Get more from The Northern Echo with a Premium Plus digital subscription, currently just £1 for a month. Click here.

A post-mortem, carried out two days later by pathologist Dr Jennifer Bolton, gave Kelvin’s medical cause of death as a blunt head injury.

In her report, she said: “The injury was as such that it was un-survivable.”

A probe by the police watchdog the IOPC followed and it was decided nobody would be charged in relation to his death.

The inquest continues.