North Yorkshire Police have confirmed that a man in his 20s has sadly died after a fatal plane crash close to a Yorkshire airfield last night (July 6).

Emergency services including the Yorkshire Ambulance Service were spotted at the crash site near Bagby Airfield in Thirsk, North Yorkshire just before 8pm on Thursday.

Following the incident, a full investigation has been launched as police have confirmed that one man in his 20s who was on board the aircraft has tragically died.

He is the only person who is believed to have been on the plane as police urge the public to avoid the area whilst investigators work at the scene.

Read more: Empire Cinemas: Sunderland and Catterick locations close

A full statement from North Yorkshire Police reads: “North Yorkshire Police can confirm that at around 7.45pm on Thursday (6 July 2023), we received a report that a light aircraft had come down in a field near to Bagby Airfield in the Thirsk area.

“Police, Fire and Ambulance all attended the scene.One person, a man aged in his 20s, sadly died in the crash. His family are being supported by specially trained officers.

“There was not believed to be anyone else on board the aircraft. A full investigation is underway led by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch.

“People are asked to avoid the area and we thank local residents for their patience and co-operation while the emergency services continue to work at the scene.”

Read next:

Get more from The Northern Echo with a Premium Plus Digital Subscription in our July offer for just £4 for 4 months of content. Click here.

A spokesperson for the Air Accidents Investigation Branch has also confirmed that the crash will be subject to an investigation that began this morning.

They said: “The AAIB has launched an investigation into a fatal accident involving a twin-engine light aircraft which occurred yesterday near Bagby Airfield, Thirsk, Yorkshire.

"A team of inspectors arrived on site this morning to gather evidence and begin an investigation.”

The Northern Echo has also contacted the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service for a statement.