A service has now resumed following a crash between a car and train which closed a road this morning.

The service between Kingston Park and Airport has resumed after a crash between a car and train at Callerton Parkway in Newcastle shortly before 10:30am today (June 29).

Police confirmed a vehicle had collided with a train while on a level crossing, while the vehicle has since reportedly been recovered.

They advised motorists to avoid the area and seek alternative routes.

Read more: LIVE: Metro crash between car and train at Callerton Parkway

A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “Shortly before 10.30 am today, we received a report of a road traffic collision on Callerton Lane in Newcastle.

“It was reported that a vehicle collided with a Metro train while on a level crossing.

“No one is believed to have been injured in the incident.

“Officers are in attendance and the vehicle involved is in the process of being recovered from the scene.

“A section of the road is currently closed to traffic and motorists should avoid the area and use alternative routes.”

Read more: One taken to hospital after crash on A67 Barnard Castle

Tyne and Wear Metro (TWM) have since confirmed the service has resumed, with trains running to all destinations subject to delays.

A TWM spokesperson said: "Service has now resumed between Kingston Park and Airport. Trains are running to all destinations subject to delays between Airport and South Hylton in both directions.

"Ticket acceptance will end at 13:45."

Read next:

​​​​​​​​​​Read unlimited, ad-light articles with a digital subscription to The Northern Echo, now only £3 for 3 months. Click here.

A Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We can confirm that five of our crews were dispatched to an incident earlier this morning where it was reported that a car had collided with a Metro train in Woolsington.

“The initial emergency call was received by our Fire Control team at 10.23am and appliances were sent to the collision site at Callerton Parkway from Hebburn, South Shields and West Denton Community Fire Stations.

“The main focus for our crews was to make the scene of the collision safe and assist with helping passengers from the train. Our crews left the incident at 10.59am.”