HERE'S what we know so far after a plane crashed at Teesside Airport shortly after take off.

Teesside International Airport is currently closed after an incident involving the light aircraft.

A pilot and two passengers were taken to hospital following the incident involving a light aircraft this morning at 9.39am.

Earlier a spokesperson for Teesside International Airport said: "We can confirm an incident occurred today involving a light aircraft at 09.39am.

The Northern Echo:

"A pilot and two passengers were onboard and have been taken to hospital. 

"Our runway will remain closed until further notice while a thorough investigation is carried out. 

"We would like to thank the emergency services, on site staff for their quick response."

Read more: Teesside Airport closed after incident on runway

An air accidents investigation team has also been called.

A North East Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We were called at 09.35 to reports of a light aircraft crashing at Durham Tees Valley Airport. 

"We sent two ambulances, a specialist paramedic, an officer and requested support from the Great North Air Ambulance. 

"In total three patients were taken to James Cook hospital, one with serious injuries. 

"One patient was taken by air and the two other patients were transported by road."

A spokesman for the Great North Air Ambulance Service confirmed one patient had been airlifted to James Cook University Hospital.

He said: "We have attended an incident at Teesside Airport this morning. We were on the scene within 10 minutes of being alerted.

"We airlifted one patient to hospital."

A spokesperson for Durham Police said: "Officers are currently on scene at Teesside International Airport following an incident involving a light aircraft.

"The runway is currently closed while an investigation is carried out."

County Durham Fire and Rescue Service was also on the scene. 

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen said in a Tweet: "Thoughts and prayers are with the three people onboard at the time of the incident and their families.

"At this time I want to thank the incredible response by the airport fire service and the immediate response of local emergency services to the incident."

Rob Cherrie, incident commander for County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said the aircraft had taken off before coming down and hitting the ground.

Two crews based at Teesside Airport attended the incident, along with two appliances and a special rescue unit.

Mr Cherrie said: “A light aircraft had taken off with three individuals on board – two passengers and a pilot.

“It has come down and hit the ground.

“We extricated them from the aircraft itself. One patient was taken by air ambulance to hospital. The two others were taken to hospital by road ambulance.

“The air accidents investigation branch will carry out a full investigation.”

Police, ambulance and the Great North Air Ambulance Service responded to the incident this morning. 

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen was pictured outside the airport this afternoon.

The Northern Echo:

Flights are now being diverted to Newcastle Airport.

A flight from Faro, which was scheduled to land at 11.40am, has been diverted to Newcastle Airport.

An inbound Ryanair flight from Palma due to arrive at 15.50 will also be diverted to Newcastle Airport.

Read more: Teesside Airport: Customers moved to alternative flights

Eyewitnesses have reported hearing an "almighty bang".

One person said: "Heard the engine cut out and then heard an almighty bang. Many emergency service and air ambulance on scene. Hope all involved are ok."


It was reported that the light aircraft 'lost power'.

All flights are suspended until further notice.