Bishop Auckland manager Colin Myers was furious with the match officials when they lost their local derby 2-1 at West Auckland on Saturday.

The flashpoint centred around West’s opening goal, just a few minutes after Bishops had missed a great chance to take the lead.

Myers’ protests over the goal led to him being sent to the stand by the referee, and he explained: “One of their players, Ben Wood, came over to the touchline to have some strapping put on his wrist. I told the assistant that the player should leave the field of play, because he was receiving treatment whilst the game was in progress.

“When he had his strapping on, he then ran across the field, and took the free kick that led to their opening goal.

“I protested to the assistant who then called the referee over and said that I’d sworn at him, which I hadn’t. So, the referee sent me to the stand. My point to the assistant was that the player should have left the field of play and asked for permission to come back on.”

West had the best chance of the first half when Nathan Fisher had an effort well saved, but Bishops should have opened the scoring when Ian Ward missed from a couple of yards.

But then came West’s opener, headed in by Amar Purewal from a free kick, then in stoppage time Darren Richardson set up Fisher to score his 25th league goal of the season. Niall McGoldrick pulled a late goal back for Bishops.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “It was a good win. WE were disappointed with the first half, as there wasn’t enough energy, but we were a much better side in the second half.”

Newton Aycliffe came from behind to draw 1-1 at Team Northumbria, their fifth successive draw, which keeps them seventh from bottom.

Team North led with a goal by Andrei Ardelean after 12 minutes, but Glen Lane fired the equaliser on 75 minutes.

Newton Aycliffe manager Deano Browne said; “We were outclassed in the first half, conceded a lucky goal and were lucky to go in only 1-0 down. There were a few home truths at half time and we were the better side in the second half. Another good draw away from home.”

Shildon dropped points for the second successive home game when they were held to a 2-2 draw by Seaham Red Star.

It looked good for Shildon when they led 2-0 inside 15 minutes with goals by Adam Burnicle and Matty Waters, but Seaham hit back in the second half with goals by Andrew Johnston and Liam McBryde.

Shildon are now down to fifth because Consett climbed above them with a win over bottom club Billingham Synthonia.

Morpeth are well ahead at the top of the table now. They beat Jarrow Roofing 3-2 to go 19 points clear of the new second-placed club, North Shields.

In the second division, leaders Northallerton lost 2-1 at Easington, leaving them five points clear of Blyth AFC, who have two games in hand.

They missed some good chances in the first half before Easington scored twice in eight minutes in the second half through Aiden Goodey and Michael Cook. Colin Anderson scored a late consolation for Town.

Tow Law dropped down to fifth because of a 3-1 defeat at Billingham Town. It was going well for them when Dean Thexton gave them the lead with his 22nd league goal of the season, but then defender Adam Knowles was red carded for a bad challenge, and Billingham took advantage.

The home side scored three times in the second half through Jason Blackburn, Reece Kenney and Joe Kerridge.

Tow Law manager Steve Murray said; “We were winning and in total control until a stupid and needless red card left us to play 70 minutes with ten men. Very frustrating.”

Willington won the groundshare derby against Durham by 3-1 at Hall Lane.

Durham led with an early goal by Callum Smith, but Willington regrouped at half time and scored through Matty Moffat, Jeff Smith and Michael Brown in the second half. Willington are unbeaten now in nine league games going back to mid-October and are ninth.

Willington manager Rob Lee said; “They were a good three points. We had to show good character because we were 1-0 down at half time. We came out in the second half and scored three good goals.”

Durham manager Olly Hotchkiss said; “I thought we edged the first half and deserved to be 1-0 up, but we took our foot off the gas and allowed their experienced players to dominate the second half. But I was very proud of the players who showed great character and desire to play on a difficult surface. We must react and put this performance right in our next fixture.”

Brandon climbed out of the bottom thanks to a 2-0 home win over Jarrow, their first win in nine matches. Recent signing Connor Lowes and Lee Blades were both on target.

Brandon manager Steve Skinner said; “It was a great win and fully deserved. In the second half we were very good from back to front and played in the right areas, and when called upon to defend, the back four were very strong. We just need to take this into the next game. Also, a clean sheet was a massive positive for the team.”

Crook Town went down 3-1 at Ryton, Christian Holliday scoring their goal late in the game when it was already beyond them. Dale Johnston was also shown a late red card.

Crook manager Chris Lax said; “We’re extremely disappointed. The wind killed the game. We didn’t take advantage in the first half and missed four clear cut chances. They caught us on the break, so we were up against it in the second half. They caught us again pushing for the equaliser. I’m not going to be critical because of the conditions.”

Chester-le-Street went down 2-0 at Whickham, and manager Colin Wake said; “It was a really poor performance in a gale force wind at times. We didn’t impose ourselves on the game at all, and although our keeper wasn’t overly worked, we didn’t really threaten their goal either. It was a poor afternoon and a thoroughly deserved win for Whickham.”

Darlington RA are back in the bottom two after they were heavily beaten 6-1 at fourth bottom Bedlington, Mark Sims scoring for them when they were 2-0 down. New signing Michael Joseph was red carded just after the hour mark.