Spennymoor Town 2 Boston United 1.

Spennymoor jumped into fourth place with an entertaining 2-1 win over Boston at the Brewery Field last night.

Moors played some good football, especially in the first half, but a big turning point in the game was a disallowed Boston gaol when the visitors were leading.

Nevertheless, Moors are now unbeaten in their last ten league games going back to early September.

Boston missed a great chance to take the lead on 3 minutes, when Luke Shields, unmarked, headed a left wing corner over the top.

But they made no mistake on 8 minutes when Jordan Thewlis got around the back of the defence into the six yard box and squared the ball for Dominic Knowles to turn home from a couple of yards.

Moors though missed a great chance to equalise when James Roberts broke into the box on the left, and pulled his shot wide with just the keeper, Peter Crook, to beat.

Moors had another opportunity when Rob Ramshaw beat his man on the right, and his low cross, aimed for both Glen Taylor and Mark Anderson, was held by Crook at the second attempt.

Moors had a left off though when Thewlis again got around the back and set up Martyn Woolford who put the ball in the net from a few yards, but the referee ruled that Knowles, who was standing on the line, got a touch on the ball and was ruled offside, although the player claimed the ball missed him.

Moors went straight up the other end and equalised when Roberts picked up a through ball, kept his cool, and slipped the ball past Crook with Boston still protesting about the disallowed goal.

Moors nearly went in front on 32 minutes with a looping header by Ramshaw from Roberts’ left wing cross, that landed on the roof of the net. Roberts then had a right foot shot punched away after breaking down the right on the end of an Anderson pass.

Boston had a penalty shout early in the second half when Thewlis crossed from the right for Knowles to head towards goal and claim that a defender blocked with his hand, but the referee waved play on.

Moors though increased the pace of the game and started to dominate. Within seconds of Ben McKenna replacing Mark Anderson on 66 minutes, Shane Henry burst through the middle and struck a left foot shot from the edge of the box that flew into the top corner of the net.

Ramshaw had a chance to make it 3-1, but pulled his left foot shot wide.

However, Boston nearly levelled from a right wing free kick, and centre half Alex Penny fired a shot against his own man standing on the six yard line.

Sub McKenna then dribbled past two men and put Taylor clear, and the top scorer’s shot was blocked well by Crook.

Gould, Hibbs. Mason, Chandler, Buddle, Curtis, Roberts (Boyes 88), Henry, Taylor, Ramshaw, Anderson (sub McKenna 66).

Subs: Brogan, Ward, Cogdon.

Attendance 930.