Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said that the result was all that mattered when they won 1-0 at Padiham in the first round of the Buildbase FA Vase on Saturday.

Heavy rain in the north west was never going to lead to an entertaining game of football, but Bishops came out on top on a heavy sloping pitch.

Manager Ian Chandler, a veteran of several Vase campaigns with Whitley Bay, said; “It was a very tough game on a very testing pitch. The heavy rain over the past few days made the conditions challenging. In all cup games the performance comes second to the result and that was evident on Saturday. We played defensively very well, created a couple of chances one of which Chris Winn slotted in.”

The goal came on 36 minutes when there was a moment of confusion in the Padiham defence, and pressure forced a defender to pass the ball back towards his keeper, but Winn intercepted to score.

Shildon are also through after beating West Didsbury and Chorlton from the North West Counties League 2-0 at Dean Street.

Nathan Steel put Shildon into an early lead, and after the visitors had a man sent off for a foul, Danny Craggs added a second before half time.

Manager Danny Moore said; “I thought we played well in spells.”

Crook Town made a good account of themselves before going down 4-2 at Longridge, the leaders of the North West Counties League. They were without a regular keeper, so top scorer Christian Holliday went in goal.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “I’m so proud of the boys. To go toe to toe with a side top of the division above and be within a goal of them for most of the game is a credit to the players. They stuck to the gameplan to a word and I couldn't have asked for more. To have to put your top goal scorer in goal sums up our luck at the minute after our goalkeeper broke his thumb on Thursday. “They were a good team and probably just shaded it on the day, but my lads gave everything for me and that's all you can ask for.”

Daniel Maddison put Crook level at 1-1 early in the second half, and after Longridge went 3-1 up, Joey Smith scored a second to give the home side some anxious moments. However, the Preston made sure with a late fourth goal.

In the other games involving north east clubs, 2018 finalists Stockton Town needed an extra time goal from Kevin Hayes to win 3-2 at Knaresborough.

Guisborough had a good 3-1 away win at Chadderton, while Thornaby comfortably won the Teesside derby against Billingham Town by 4-0.

Sunderland Ryhope CW had a good 2-0 home win over Ashton Athletic.

Consett scored three times early in the game to set up a 5-2 away win at Winterton Rangers.

West Allotment lost 4-2 at Bottesford, Seaham Red Star lost 3-1 at home to Yorkshire Amateurs, and Jarrow lost 2-1 after extra time to Vauxhall Motors.

The winners join Hebburn, Sunderland RCA, Newcastle Benfield and West Auckland who all had exemption to this stage.