Lancaster City 0 Spennymoor Town 5.

Spennymoor manager Jason Ainsley said that he was very pleased with progress into the next round and a clean sheet as they brushed Lancaster City aside by 5-0 at the Giant Axe on Saturday.

Ainsley spent the week emphasising to his players about the importance of winning and keeping the opposition out, and his words were listened to as they moved into Monday lunchtime’s third qualifying round.

“It was a massive clean sheet, as some people thought that we were going to lose because Lancaster were a banana skin as they had players with higher league experience. But we certainly put a good performance on. It’s made up for the last two years when we lost our first game, and we’ve brought some prize money into the club.

“That was our biggest game of the season. I kept drumming into the lads that we needed to win, because we haven’t had a great start to the league season. Performances have been better of late, although Saturday’s game was more about the result than the performance. In the end, we got both.

“I was most pleased with a clean sheet because we’ve had a lot of stick collectively as a team for the way we’ve conceded goals this season – and now we’re into the next round.

“I thought we had a difficult first ten minutes and we had to roll our sleeves up, but I thought the first goal was massive. It was a little bit out of the blue. If we’d conceded the first goal, then it would have been a different game. We changed our system after our first goal to give us an extra man in midfield “We scored at the right times in the first half, and I thought we were outstanding in the second half.

“We managed the game superbly well, and we were always a threat. It would easily have been seven or eight, and Mattie Gould, our keeper, had nothing to do in the second half. Overall, it was a positive day at the office.”

Glen Taylor burst back into form after a month out through injury with two second half goals after coming on as sub, and Ainsley said; “Glen was unbelievable when he went on and could have had a hat trick in the first ten minutes. He scored a penalty and then a great goal. He’s a top player, but the other two forwards, Adam Boyes and James Roberts, have also done well in recent weeks, they’ve been scoring goals as well.”

Moors were forced into a change before the kick off, when Callum Williams hurt himself in the warmup and Nathan Buddle replaced him.

Lancaster, from the BetVictor NPL Premier Division, started the game well and caused some anxious moments in the Spennymoor defence, but once Moors took the lead, then the visitors never really looked back.

The opener was a route one effort, a long clearance from a free kick deep inside his own half by keeper Mattie Gould that bounced once in the Lancaster penalty area and Andrew Johnson neatly tucked past the keeper.

Moors went 2-0 up on 25 minutes, when James Roberts wasn’t picked up from a Stephen Brogan throw, and he ran forward to beat Sam Ashton with a left foot shot.

Lancaster tried to fight back and had a couple of chances before half time which they wasted.

However, Moors got on top again, and Adam Boyes broke through with just Ashton to beat, but the keeper saved well.

Taylor came on as sub with an hour gone, and his name was on the scoresheet within seven minutes when Roberts was brought down, and Taylor tucked away the penalty into the bottom corner.

Taylor nearly scored the fourth, but Ashton pulled off a good save from his header, but he wasn’t denied for long because he scored after a Brogan free kick from the left was nodded down to him to fire in left footed on 72 minutes.

Another sub, Gavin Cogdon, made an instant impact when he burst through and set up Taylor, who fired over the bar.

Cogdon put another chance over the top, before the rampant Taylor set up another sub, Mark Anderson, to score the fifth and complete a comprehensive win.

Moors next game is in the league against Kidderminster at the Brewery Field on Saturday.

Team: Gould, Magnay, Brogan, Chandler, Buddle, Curtis, McKenna, Ramshaw, Boyes (sub Taylor 61), Roberts (sub Cogdon 73), Johnson (sub Anderson 80) Subs not used: Atkinson, Webb.

In the other FA Cup ties, Morpeth pulled off one of the surprise results of the day when they won 4-2 at Bradford Park Avenue.

The last remaining Northern League side are out, as Stockton Town were beaten 1-0 at Guiseley.

Dunston won 2-1 at Marine, while Brad Fewster’s goal was enough to give Whitby victory at 1874 Northwich.

Gateshead thumped Ramsbottom 6-0 at the International Stadium.

The draw takes place at 1.30 on Monday afternoon..