West Auckland

came from behind to clinch their first win of the season against neighbours Bishop Auckland at Darlington Road on Saturday.

West were badly hit by injuries, but they showed plenty of character to bounce back in the last 25 minutes.

Manager Gary Forrest said; “It was a good win. We had missing so credit to the lads that found a way to win the game. It was fully deserved.”

Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said; “It was a bit of a sickener losing the game. Things started badly when we had to adjust our team when we lost Liam Potter and James Fairley due to illness and injury, these two have probably been our better players. We defended well for 90% of the game but a mistake cost us in the end.”

Bishops took the lead in the third minute with a 25 yarder by Michael Hoganson, and nearly added a second when Darryl Hall headed against the post.

West fought back in the last 25 minutes when Adam Burnicle scored after Nathan Fisher’s shot was blocked, and then David Dowson fired the winner with the help of a deflection.

In the other league games, leaders Hebburn were held to a goalless draw by Consett, while Sunderland RCA beat Newcastle Benfield 3-2.

Esh Winning manager Tony Boakes is pleased that a hard month is over after they twice came from behind to beat Campion in the first qualifying round of the FA Vase on Saturday.

The second division club trailed at half time, and after Mattie Allison pulled a goal back, the Bradford side regained the lead.

However, two goals by Nick Marley in the last six minutes put his side into the next round.

Boakes said; “It was a great comeback from us. It was a very flat performance for 75 minutes from us until the last 15 minutes. It’s been a really hard month -- 9 games as well as lads working full time and playing Sundays / Tuesdays. Overall it was great to get a win.”

Esh are now at home to Billingham Town in the next round.

Newton Aycliffe had a good 2-1 home win over Silsden at Moore Lane.

They took the lead when a dangerous cross by Johnson Ballan was headed past the keeper by a Silsden defender, then Shaun Ryder set up Dean Thexton to chip the keeper for the second just after half time.

Silsden pulled a goal back midway through the half, but Aycliffe held on to go through to the next round.

Manager Colin Stromsoy said; “We were excellent in the first half and should have put the game to bed. We scored early in the second half and allowed them back into the game. They scored a good goal and we were hanging on for the rest of the game. On balance, we just about deserved to win.”

Chester-le-Street lost 2-1 at home to Garforth, losing to a winner three minutes from the end after Jack Brown had pulled them back level.

Chester-le-Street manager Colin Wake said; “Hi ray a lot more solid today but come up against a good strong side in Garforth. They had a lot of possession, but we were comfortable allowing them to play in their own half. To concede so late in the game to a poor goal was a blow to the lads who had put a shift in. But overall a much better performance.”

Shildon saw off Tow Law by 3-0 at Dean Street in their all Northern League tie.

Kurt Matthews gave them the lead after 29 minutes, with Danny Craggs and Zak Atkinson scoring in the space of six minutes in the second half.

Shildon manager Danny Moore said; “We had chances to kill the game first half but managed the game a lot better second half and it's nice to get a clean sheet.”

Tow Law manager Micky Vasey said; “It was a hard game. We matched them up for 60 minutes, but fitness and quality came through in the end for Shildon.”

Northallerton crushed Stokesley 7-0 at Ainderby Road, finishing the game as a contest by scoring five before half time.

Northallerton manager Darren Trotter said; “We were very professional; we did what we needed to do. I was happy with a clean sheet, and the players built their confidence with the goals scored.”

Shaun Hudson, Stephen Cheeseman, Connor Lowes and Nicky Martin (2) scored before half time, with Martin going on to complete his hat trick in the second half. Hudson added another.

Willington, despite having some good home form behind them this season, lost 2-0 at home to Albion Sports from the Northern Counties East League.

Willington manager Ibby Hassan said; “A disappointing performance given how well we've been doing at home this season. The conditions played a factor and it transpired to be a game of few chances. Nevertheless, Albion Sports went about their work professionally and got a good result. The second goal probably flatters them, but we had pushed forward looking for an equaliser. It's a shame for the fans and everyone involved as there is nothing like a good cup run but it wasn't to be our year.”

Crook Town just got the better of Brandon by 2-1 in their local derby at the Millfield.

Daniel Kent put them into the lead before Mattie Lovegreen equalised on 24 minutes. Christian Holliday scored the winner four minutes from the end.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “Obviously really pleased to get through in the Vase. I thought we were dominant throughout and probably should have won by a wider margin. The lads put a tough week of results behind us and I thought the performance was pretty good. We look forward to a trip over to Cumbria in the next round.” Crook are at Cleator Moor in the next round.

Brandon manager Rob Bowron said; “We weren't good enough today. It was an entertaining game and we wish Crook the best in the next round. But we are disappointed we haven't played to our standards. We will have to learn quick!”

The biggest score of the day was by Billingham Synthonia, who thumped Whitehaven 9-0.

Previous Vase winners Whitley Bay are out though, beaten at home by Barnoldswick, and recent winners North Shields also went out at Ryhope CW.

2018 finalists Stockton Town are through after a 4-0 win over Ashington, while Billingham Town came from behind to beat Heaton Stannington 2-1.

Thornaby had a good 4-0 away win at Eccleshill, and Guisborough were 1-0 winners at Penrith.

The draw for the next round on 14th September is: Thornaby v Thackley, Steeton v Seaham Red Star, Durham city v Stockton Town, Easington v Shildon, Ryton and Crawcrook v Yorkshire Amateurs, Esh Winning v Billingham Town, Jarrow v Newton Aycliffe, Sunderland West End v Padiham, Albion Sports v Guisborough, Northallerton v Barnoldswick, Whickham or Squires Gate v West Allotment, Billingham Synthonia v Knaresborough, Garforth v Ryhope CW, Cleator Moor Celtic v Crook Town