West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said that his team is “mentally weak” after they lost 3-2 at Newton Aycliffe after being 2-0 up at one stage.

They also had Alex Francis sent off, but they are hoping that the referee will reverse his decision.

Adam Burnicle and Amar Purewal put West 2-0 up by the 16th minute, but Aycliffe hit back through Dean Thexton, Johnson Ballan and Shaun Ryder.

Forrest said; “We witnessed a team that is mentally weak, was 2-0 up and then conceded a soft goal and effectively collapsed. It was another awful refereeing performance but ultimately, we were not strong enough mentally.

“Twice now we have had players sent off immediately after conceding a goal albeit the ref is claiming he will rescind this one. That's two out of three sending offs that will have been rescinded this season.”

Newton Aycliffe are now up to eighth in the table after three straight wins, and manager Colin Stromsoy said; “It was a fantastic come back by us. West were by far the better team for the first 30 minutes but after we worked out their game plan, I think we deserved the three points. Our goalkeeper didn’t have a save to make in the second half. I was delighted with the lads, but a bigger test comes again on Monday against Shildon.”

Bishop Auckland produced their best performance so far to beat Ryhope CW 4-1 at Heritage Park.

Andy Johnson and Michael Hoganson put them 2-0 up just before half time, and in the second half Chris Winn scored twice inside three minutes. Jack Devlin pulled a late goal back for Ryhope.

Manager Ian Chandler said: “Finally an attacking display that we at Bishops are used to and expected. With Kyle Fryatt back from holiday and new signing Kieran Parnaby in the starting eleven, we looked confident and assured throughout. A Chris Winn double early in the second half sealed the result and a much-needed performance to match.”

Shildon just scraped past Penrith by 3-2 at Dean Street, Danny Craggs scoring a late winner.

Craggs earlier cancelled out a goal by the Cumbrians, then Nathan Steel made it 2-1 to the Railwaymen.

Manager Danny Moore said; “We got three points which we deserved. We switched off twice which gave Penrith something to hang on to, but we dug in and found a way to win.”

In the other first division game, Consett drew 1-1 with Whitley Bay.

In the second division, Durham City won their first game of the season with a good 3-2 away win at Newcastle University. They had only scored once before Saturday’s game.

Manager Billy Harper said: “The win which we have been waiting for finally came and to be honest it should have been a much bigger scoreline to us. We made two mistakes in the game and when you are at the wrong end of the league you'll be punished harshly. The lads were by far the best team throughout the 90 minutes and our finishing was far better than recent games. It's now about keeping the momentum going to push up the division.”

Joe Collins, Dimitri Kehi and Famara Jatta scored their goals after they were behind twice.

Chester-le-Street lost 3-0 at home to Redcar Athletic, who are now third.

Manager Colin Wake said; “We were beaten by a really good Redcar side who are very comfortable in possession and move you around a lot. We couldn't get close or tight to them to affect play and were soundly beaten. We are going through a tough time and need to stick together as a group to start grinding out performances and then hopefully results will come.”

Tow Law had a good 4-2 home win over Washington to put them ninth in the table. Lewis Teasdale (2) and Conor Winter put them 3-0 up at half time, and after Washington pulled a goal back, Dale Milburn made sure.

Tow Law manager Micky Vasey said; “It was a good win and a hard-fought game. We’re getting better every week, and we’re hoping to push on and get in the top three.”

Crook Town were held to a 2-2 draw at home by lowly Easington, salvaging a point with a late goal by Daniel Kent, his second of the game.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “We’re really disappointed today, we lacked tempo and quality in the final third. Our decision making has got to be better. It would have been a travesty for us not to take something from the game. It was important not to get beat but really, we needed three points from the game. We'll try and put it right on Saturday in the big Vase game.”

Willington beat Brandon 2-1 at Hall Lane and are now in fourth place with a 100 per cent home record.

Tyler Marquis put Willington ahead, with Alex Dobbinson levelling for Brandon. However, Ashly Davis scored the winner for Willington.

Willington manager Ibby Hassan said; “We were down to the barebones with half my squad missing.

“It was a great opportunity for some of the young fringe players to get 90 minutes on a very hot day. They stepped up and we ground out the result. It definitely wasn't a classic, but the result was all that matters, especially with Brandon having the bit between their teeth.

“The result was probably fair, and we look to hopefully start a cup run this weekend.”

Brandon manager Rob Bowron said; “I thought we were unfortunate in a way. We worked hard and probably had the better of the ball, but not much went our way. The winner looks like our goalkeeper had both hands on the ball, but the referee has seen it differently. We’re very disappointed not to get something from the game.”

In the other games, Esh Winning lost 2-1 at home to Carlisle City, while West Allotment went on the rampage against Billingham Synthonia, hammering them 8-2.