New look Brandon won their first game of the season when they beat neighbours Tow Law 4-1 at the Welfare Ground on Saturday – and manager Rob Bowron admitted that they were “chuffed.”

Brandon were taken over by Coundon and Leeholme during the summer, and they are optimistic of a much better season after finishing second bottom last season and being reprieved by the FA’s summer reshuffle.

Brandon manager Rob Bowron said; “We’re totally chuffed with the performance. The first win is important and the lads were superb. There was a real maturity and commitment against a good Tow Law side, but the win was thoroughly deserved and pleased we are up and running.”

Craig Moody scored twice in the first half, with Kiaran Alderson and Ben Joyeux adding more in the second, with Dale Milburn scoring a consolation late in the game.

Tow Law manager Micky Vasey said; “We were missing five players through injury and holidays, but no excuses we didn't turn up. Brandon won every battle on the field and deserved to win.”

In the first division, Northallerton had a good 4-2 away win at Seaham Red Star for their first league victory of the season.

Manager Darren Trotter said; “We’re very happy with picking up our first win of the season. We played some good football in patches but what was most pleasing was how we are adapting to every game, each game has posed a different question of us and we are finding a solution. The team spirit was excellent.”

After going a goal down to Seaham’s Paul Weldon, Northallerton hit back with two strikes by Jason Blackburn. David Robinson levelled for Seaham, but summer signing Connor Lowes and David Hillerby hit back for Northallerton.

Bishop Auckland were beaten 2-1 at home by Stockton Town, who are now sixth in the table.

Stockton took the lead with a good effort by Fred Woodhouse, and at the start of the second half James Risborough added the second from a Mikey Roberts pass. Andrew Johnson pulled a goal back from the spot for Bishops.

Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said; “It was another tough game but some signs of improvement. New signing Bailey Judson had a good debut. He looked sharp and tricky. We should have a couple of players back from suspension and holidays for Wednesday.”

West Auckland are still without a win after they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by North Shields.

Kyle Patton put Shields into the lead following a move up the left, but Amar Purewal set up Adam Burnicle before half time for the equaliser.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “Missed chances cost us again. The lads need to make sure they don't get frustrated and keep playing, as it will click soon.”

Both sides observed a minute’s silence before the game for former West secretary Allen Bayles, who died last week.

In the other games, league leaders Hebburn were beaten 2-1 at home by Guisborough, so Whickham now join them at the top by beating Sunderland RCA 2-1.

Ryhope CW won 2-0 at Whitley Bay, while Billingham Town beat Ashington 2-1.

Newcastle Benfield won 2-1 at Penrith who are the only club without a point following Thornaby’s 1-1 draw at Consett on Friday night.

In the other second division games, Crook Town lost their 100 per cent record in a 3-2 defeat at Ryton and Crawcrook.

They were 2-0 down at one point, but Chris Dickinson pulled them level by the 50th minute. However, Ryton’s Scott Jasper scored a 79th minute winner.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “We were disappointed not to take something from the game. We can't afford to give teams two goals starts against us. We played some good football at times but didn't have the sustained pressure we have had in previous games this season. To get back to 2-2 we've got to make sure we don't get beat, but a goal worthy of winning any game was a sucker punch that we were on the wrong end of.”

Willington were easily beaten 6-2 at new leaders West Allotment courtesy of a poor second half performance. Vinny Gash got Willington level at 1-1, but then they collapsed to 6-1. Gash scored a late consolation.

Willington manager Iby Hassan said; “We were very disappointed in the result. I think a 15-minute spell in the second half cost us the game. It will be a difficult place for many teams to take points with them having an artificial pitch suited to them. Unfortunately, we missed a few good chances, that being said they had a few themselves.”

Esh Winning got their first victory under their belts by defeating newcomers Sunderland West End 3-1, Joe Mole scoring all their goals.

Esh Winning manager Tony Boakes said; It was great to get our first win with several players missing. Two goals from Joe going against the wind gave us a good platform for second half and he scored his hat trick five minutes into the second half. We should have gone four or five nil up before a late penalty cost what would have been a great clean sheet away from home. “ Durham City were beaten 1-0 at home by a first half goal against Billingham Synthonia and are bottom without a win and a goal in four games.

Manager Billy Harper said; “Losing was a very bitter pill to swallow. We controlled possession throughout the 90 minutes and Billingham fed off scraps and those scraps were our decision-making errors. We must have had a dozen chances but again we didn’t hit the net. Goals win games and that is why another game slips by without any points.”

Chester-le-Street came from behind to win 2-1 at Easington, with goals in the last twenty minutes by Kevin Dixon and Luke Collins after Jack pounder gave Easington the lead.