WEST Auckland are looking for a new manager following the resignation of Phil Owers after Saturday’s 4-2 FA Vase defeat at home to Sunderland RCA.

The former Darlington keeper asked for talks with club officials straight after the game, and both sides agreed a parting of the ways. Chairman Stuart Alderson said: “It was all fairly amicable, and I think everybody felt that we needed a change. Phil has worked hard, but results haven’t worked out for him.”

Alderson will now take over caretaker charge of the team with senior player Brian Fairhurst, starting with Tuesday’s Durham Challenge Cup tie against Annfield Plain.

Owers had been in charge of the club for a year, and guided West to First Division safety last season, but they have slipped down the table and out of two cup competitions in recent weeks.

The RCA took the lead just on half time with a volley by Lee Owens, but Garry Barnes levelled with a looping header just after half time. David Tait headed the RCA back in front, and then he scored from the rebound after an effort by Andy Jennings was blocked.

Barnes pulled a goal back for West, but Jennings made sure of a place in the next round for the Second Division side.

Bishop Auckland were bundled out of the competition at Marske by 4-1. Paul Moss put Bishops into the lead with a header, but Craig Skelton set up Jon Newton to equalise.

Simon Kasonali scored from 30 yards to put Marske in front, then recent signing Newton scored from a Skelton pass. Skelton chipped the keeper from the edge of the box for the fourth.

Stokesley also pulled off a shock, coming back from 2-0 down to beat Chester-le- Street 3-2. Chester looked to be well on their way when Elliott Gardiner and Robbie draper scored inside the first twenty minutes.

But Stokesley hit back in the second half. Gary Hamilton pulled one back with a header, and with seconds remaining Gareth Williams equalised. Lev Yalcin got the winner with a 25 yarder deep into extra time.

Former Northern League club Peterlee, now in the Northern Alliance, pulled off one of the surprises of the day by beating Billingham Town 2-0, Carl Lilley and David Lowe scoring the goals.

The game of the day between Tow Law and Spennymoor lived up to its billing, with Moors coming back from 2-0 down to win 4-2. Marc Eccles put Lawyers into the lead with a left foot shot, then Phil McGuire scored a second from an Eccles free kick after 55 minutes.

Moors hit back when Jamie Clarke scored with a 25 yarder, then Craig Ruddy levelled with a free kick into the top corner. In extra time, Ruddy played Clarke in for him to make 3-2, then Clarke completed his hat-trick when he raced through and beat Simon Bishop.

Shildon recorded the biggest win nationally in the competition so far, easily winning 7-0 at Yorkshire Amateurs, scoring five times before half time. Peter Watling and recent signing Lee Chapman both scored two apiece in the first half with Warren Byrne scoring the other, then the pair of them completed their hat tricks after half time.

Crook Town had another good away day, this time winning 2-1 at Barton Town after extra time. Crook keeper Liam Connell saved an early penalty, before they went into the lead with a free kick by Keith Foster. Barton equalised to force extra time, but Dan Olusoga got the winner from ten yards with fifteen minutes left.

Guisborough were forced to put an outfield player, Mark James, in goal at Armthorpe after regular John Mohun went off injured, but they still won 6-3. Marty O’Riordan put Guisborough into the lead, and at 1-1 James went in goal.

Richie Storr put Guisborough into the lead, but Armthorpe came back to lead 3-2. David Onions equalised on 85 minutes, and in extra time he completed his hat-trick, with Storr scoring another.

Sunderland Nissan just managed to overcome ten man Horden in their local derby 2-1. Horden defender Shaun Hope was red carded for handball, but Nissan’s Neil Tarrant missed the penalty.

Kallum Griffiths set up Andy Appleby to put Nissan into the lead, but Darren Atkinson equalised for the ten men just on half time. Tarrant got the winner from a Richard Hodgson pass in the second half.

Esh Winning gained revenge for their FA Cup defeat at the hands of Team Northumbria by beating them 2-1 in extra-time – Craig Coates and Nicky Martin scoring for Esh.

Ryton easily won 4-1 at Hall Road Rangers, while Thornaby were unlucky to go out 5-4 at home to Thackley.

In their first ever Vase tie, Birtley lost 3-2 to Scarborough Athletic – the spin off from the old Scarborough, while Ashington beat North Shields 2-0.

West Allotment got the better of Silsden in extra time, with a goal by Keith Douglas, after Andy Johnson had equalised for them in normal time.

Darlington RA’s revival will have to wait another week, as they lost 3-0 at home to Morpeth, who scored all their goals in the second half, while Brandon went down by the same scoreline at Leeds Carnegie. Hebburn lost 2-1 at home to Tadcaster Albion and Seaham Red Star were beaten 5-1 at Selby Town.

Draw for the first round on October 4 is: Esh Winning v Scarborough Athletic, Guisborough v Ryton, Crook v Shildon, Bedlington v Stokesley, Sunderland Nissan v Morpeth, Ashington v Leeds Carnegie, Sunderland RCA v Marske, Tadcaster Albion v Spennymoor, Bridlington v West Allotment, Newcastle Benfield v Peterlee, Penrith v Squires Gate. Consett, Dunston and Whitley Bay have all got exemptions to the second round.

In the UniBond League, Whitby had a morale-boosting 4-2 away win at Leigh Genesis, Tony Hackworth and Karl Charlton scoring in the last ten minutes. Charlton and Danny Brunskill had scored earlier for Whitby before the home side equalised.

Durham City’s First Division away game at Radcliffe Borough had to be abandoned after 20 minutes because a Radcliffe player collapsed on the field and had to be rushed to hospital.

Newcastle Blue Star were held to a goalless draw at home by Chorley.

Billingham Synthonia ended a great first week in charge for new boss Chris Rooney when they beat Whitley Bay 4-1 in the skilltrainingltd Northern League at Central Avenue.

Rooney said; “There’s no way I’m getting carried away but the attitude of the players has been magnificent.”

Colin Iley put Synners into the lead on 12 minutes from close range after Whitley keeper Terry Burke dropped the ball, but Whitley levelled with a header by Leon Ryan.

Michael Jameson fired Synners back into the lead before half time, then Nathan Jameson headed the third off the underside of the bar. Iley headed another from James Magowan’s cross near the end.

Consett ended Newcastle Benfield’s unbeaten record when they beat them 3-1.

Steve Brown opened the scoring from Jonjo Dickman’s pass after 15 minutes, then after Dickman was fouled and Mattie Moffat scored from the spot. Steve Johnson cracked a third with a minute left.

Dunston climbed over Northallerton in the table thanks to a 3-0 win at Federation Park.

In the second division, Norton are now second after they beat leaders Whitehaven 4-1 at Station Road. Micky Dunwell, Marcus Laing and David Alderson, and sub Richard Walker scoring for Norton.

Former Hartlepool striker Eifion Williams scored a hat trick as Jarrow Roofing demolished Whickham 6-1, while Washington won 2-1 at Prudhoe.