Skillstrainingltd Northern League

TOW Law assistant manager Graeme Forster wasn’t getting carried away after his side pulled off the one of the shocks of the first day by winning 5-3 at fancied Whitley Bay.

Lawyers had a good first season under manager Micky Vasey and Forster, and they couldn’t have asked for a better start at last season’s FA Vase semi finalists.

But Forster is keeping his feet on the ground, and said: “It’s a start, nothing else.

“While we were pleased with the result and some of the performances, we were disappointed in the manner that we conceded three goals and let Whitley back into the game.”

Whitley took the lead when Chris Moore scored from a mistake in the Tow Law defence.

Chris Renshaw levelled just after half-time from a long throw, then Mark Eccles lobbed Terry Burke to put Lawyers into the lead.

New signing David Henderson curled in the third, before Whitley equalised by the 85th minute with two goals by Paul Chow.

But full back Mattie Gowland finished off a move he started to put Lawyers in front again, and in the last minute Gavin Mudd delicately lobbed the keeper for the goal of the game.

Keith Finch was Spennymoor’s hero in their 2-1 home win over Shildon, as he pulled off several good saves to keep Shildon at bay.

Warren Byrne also hit the post for Shildon, before Moors took the lead when Craig Ruddy crossed for Jamie Clarke. Ruddy scored the second, when he won possession on the corner of the box and fired into the top corner.

Shildon pulled a goal back through Wayne Gredziak, from a Stuart Niven pass, but they couldn’t beat Finch again.

Mattie Moffat, the league’s top scorer last season, started where he left off with all of Consett’s goals in their 3-1 home win over Penrith.

He gave his side the lead on 28 minutes when he scored from a rebound, and he got the second from a Jonjo Dickman assist. Gary Ormston sliced a clearance into his own net to give Penrith, under new boss Richard Prokas, some hope, but Moffat pounced on a mistake to complete his hattrick in the last minute.

Bishop Auckland were furious with the referee in their 2-2 draw at Ryton, who got off to a great start by scoring with a powerful shot by Craig Marron after just 90 seconds.

John Pilkington levelled on 13 minutes from a Joe Fairish free-kick, then on 51 minutes Lee Ellison scored from a Paul Bailes pass. Ryton equalised through a Marc Walton penalty, for what the referee said was a handball by Bishop defender Paul Moss.

West Auckland lost 2-1 at home to Morpeth. They deservedly took the lead through Stuart Owens before Morpeth scored twice in the second half through Chris Rue and Tom Haigh.

Billingham Synthonia brushed Northallerton aside 4-0 at Central Avenue. Tyson Masters gave them the lead after 28 minutes, then Nathan Jameson netted before Iley scored a third and fourth.

Billingham Town, who lost most of their squad during the summer because of financial problems, lost 1-0 at home to West Allotment, Keith Douglas scoring the winner from the spot.

Newcastle Benfield full back Jeff Forsyth had an eventful game against Dunston, setting up two goals, scoring an own goal, and then being shown a red card.

He set up Micky Chilton to open the scoring after four minutes, and was booked a minute later. He had a hand in Scott Emmerson’s goal on 20 minutes, and early in the second half he chested the ball into his own goal. He was then dismissed when he was shown a second yellow midway through the second half.

Sunderland Nissan had a 2- 1 away win at Bedlington.

Neil Tarrant headed Nissan into the lead after eight minutes, but Bedlington equalised with an Anthony Shandran penalty.

Nissan picked up the points in the second half when Stuart Banks scored.

Promoted South Shields, in front of one of the biggest crowds of the day, lost 2-0 at home to Ashington. Gareth Bainbridge and Ross Atkinson on target.

In the second division, newcomers Whitehaven had to delay the start of their debut game against Washington because their visitors were held up in traffic on the way to West Cumbria. The delay didn’t affect Whitehaven, who ran out comfortable 5-1 winners against Washington.

The biggest shock in the second division was fancied Horden’s 3-2 home defeat by Team Northumbria at Welfare Park. Horden were 3-1 down at half-time, with only Jamie Arthur’s goal to show against efforts by Dean Critchlow (2) and Michael Ross for TN, and in the second half John French scored again for Horden.

Jarrow Roofing gave former Hartlepool striker Eifion Williams his debut at Guisborough, and he had a goal disallowed for offside in their 2-1 win.

Greg Booth gave Guisborough a fifth minute lead with a 25 yarder, but Chris Archer levelled for Roofing from an Alan Oliver pass. The winner came on the hour when Archer volleyed in from the edge of the box.

Promotion favourites Sunderland RCA had a comfortable 4-0 win at Prudhoe. After a goalless first half, Andy Jennings (2) Andy Bowes and Keith Graydon scored.

Esh Winning came from behind to beat Whickham 4-1 at Waterhouses.

Thornaby enjoyed 4-0 home win over Darlington RA.

Chris Moore put then into the lead with a 25 yarder on 46 minutes, then Mohammed Abdullah got another from the edge of the box. Paul Vickers added two more.

Brandon snatched a point in a 2-2 draw at Birtley thanks to a late goal by Paul Dixon.

Barrie Smith twice put Birtley into the lead, only for Dixon to equalise twice.

Hebburn side sprang a surprise by winning 2-1 at Marske United. The home side took an early lead through Micky Waller, but Hebburn levelled with a curling shot by Stephen Graham, and then Martin Urwin cracked in the winner.

Stokesley started well with a 3-1 win at North Shields.

Stuart Wise gave then the lead, then new signing Dale Mendum added a second. Lev Yalcin finished off a good move for the third before Marc Nicholson replied for Shields.

Norton drew 0-0 with Crook at Station Road. Te visitors had Matthew Coad sent off.

Skillstrainingltd Northern League by Ray Simpson GOAL DOUBLE: Paul Chow (stripes), netted a brace in his side Whitley Bay’s 5-3 defeat against Tow Law at the weekend