ROTHERHAM have parted company with manager Leam Richardson by mutual consent after just five months in charge - and appointed former boss Steve Evans.

Evans has left Stevenage to re-join the Millers, who he led to back-to-back promotions from Sky Bet League Two to the Championship between 2012 and 2014.

Richardson took over from Matt Taylor in December but endured a miserable time at the New York Stadium, losing 18 of his 24 games in charge and overseeing relegation to Sky Bet League One.

His appointment was with a view to rebuilding the club in the third tier but he has not made it until the end of the season, with his assistant Rob Kelly also leaving with immediate effect.

His sacking on Wednesday morning was swiftly followed by confirmation of Evans' appointment.

Chairman Tony Stewart said:  “On behalf of everyone at Rotherham United, I’m absolutely delighted to welcome Steve Evans and Paul Raynor back to the football club.

“Leam and Rob’s departure was not something we took lightly, but following extensive conversations at board level, it was unanimously agreed that a change of direction was needed to give us the best possible chance of bouncing back to the Sky Bet Championship at the first time of asking.

“In Steve and Paul, we have two individuals that understand the Rotherham United ‘DNA’ and know what it takes to build a successful team. They have a proven track record of success at a plethora of clubs, including our own."

Evans' first game in charge will be against Birmingham City this weekend.


While the Millers are preparing for life in League One, Middlesbrough and Sunderland now have confirmation that they'll face Portsmouth next year after John Mousinho's side secured the League One title and promotion with a 3-2 victory over Barnsley on Tuesday night.

Pompey looked to be missing their opportunity in front of their own fans when, needing one point to return to the second tier after a 12-year absence, they were 2-1 behind after Devante Cole and John McAtee struck either side of Kusini Yengi’s equaliser.

But the hosts hit back in the final seven minutes with Colby Bishop scoring from the penalty spot and Conor Shaughnessy heading home the winner.

Mousinho told BBC Radio Solent Sport: “I think once everything settles down it will sink in properly. I’ve never experienced anything like that, the last 15 minutes, it was absolutely incredible.

"To be head coach, it is a privilege. Hopefully we can have a few more nights like this.

“I never could have imagined this happening this quickly. This was obviously the goal at some point, but didn’t think it would happen with two games to go this season. It is a remarkable achievement. That is a serious effort to be crowned champions ahead of some of the big boys in this league as well.”