How did the players fare in Middlesbrough's 2-1 home defeat to Bristol City


6 Glover: Conceded two goals, but also made two excellent first-half saves to keep Boro in the game

6 AYLING: Offered Boro’s main attacking threat in the first half and kept on trying to get forward in the second

4 Fry: Couldn’t deal with Bristol City’s attackers in the opening quarter of the game and struggled with the ball at his feet

4 Van den Berg: Didn’t look comfortable early on and gave the ball away cheaply on a number of occasions

4 Engel: Was turned far too easily by Knight as Bristol City opened the scoring and struggled to contain the opposition’s forwards

4 O’Brien: Looked all at sea for most of the first half, and was taken off midway through the second period after being pushed further forward

4 Barlaser: Was bypassed far too easily by Bristol City’s passing before the break – Boro missed Howson’s defensive security

5 Forss: Offered a sporadic threat from the right, but it is surely time to give him a chance through the middle

4 Hackney: Handed Bristol City their second goal with a dreadful pass and was shaky for much of the opening period

6 Azaz: Was Boro’s brightest spark in the final third, even if he was somewhat fortunate to set up Silvera’s goal

5 Greenwood: Tried his best leading the line, but lacked composure when he went clean through, only to shoot straight at the keeper


6 McGree (for O’Brien, 68): Helped spark Boro into some sort of life after his introduction in the second half

5 Thomas (for Engel, 68): Didn’t do much to change the course of the game after coming off the bench

Silvera (for Greenwood, 80)

(not used): Dieng (gk), Clarke, Dijksteel, McNair, Howson, Gilbert.


O’Leary 8; Tanner 7, VYNER 8, Dickie; Bell 7 (McCrorie 57, 6), James 7 (Williams 70, 5), Gardner-Hickman 6, Pring 7; Knight 8, Wells 6 (Conway 57, 6), Cornick 8 (Mehmeti 46, 5).

Subs (not used): Bajic (gk), King, Roberts, Knight-Lebel, Mebude.

Man Of The Match:  ZAK VYNER – Stood firm at the heart of the Bristol City defence as Boro tried to claw their way back into the game in the second half.