DARLINGTON could be happy with a point from a battling display against Blyth at Blackwell Meadows last night, but they could have picked up all three.

As a defensive unit, Quakers were much more solid than of late as they achieved only their second clean sheet of the season.

And if it wasn’t for a couple of good saves by Blyth keeper Andy Mitchell, then they would have secured only their second win of the season.

Wary of conceding an early goal like they did in their last home game, Quakers defended well in the opening stages, with new signing Kieran Burton looking impressive at the back.

Keeper David Robson was also very alert in goal, and his confident handling helped him hold on to a left-wing cross from Jack Bodenham.

Quakers nearly took the lead after 19 minutes when Will Hatfield crossed from the left-hand side, for Jim Simms to put in a glancing header which went just wide of the right-hand post.

Despite having more possession and knocking the ball around well, Blyth never really threatened the home goal until the half-hour mark when Will McGowan worked his way into the box, and his shot took a deflection before Robson held on to the ball.

And then Elliott Forbes created space well for himself on the edge of the area and fired towards the bottom corner, but Robson went full stretch and saved well.

Quakers made a sub at the start of the second half, new signing Hayden Lindley coming on for Simm.

They nearly scored on 47 minutes when Ngandu floated a free-kick over from the left, and Burton headed just over the top.

A few minutes later, they went even closer when a deep free-kick by Hatfield dropped for Jake Lawlor, and his strike towards the bottom-right corner seemed to be going in, until Mitchell managed to push the ball away.

Blyth responded with a curling effort by McGowan that Robson confidently held on to, while at the other end Ngandu’s curling free-kick was held on the line by Mitchell.

But then Blyth had a good spell of pressure, which saw them win two free-kicks on the edge of the box in dangerous positions, but on both occasions the defensive wall blocked Deverdics’ efforts.

Hatfield had a half-chance on the edge of the box which he put wide from a Tom Platt lay off, and Ben Hedley fired over the top from long range.

Quakers kept working hard up to the final whistle, and they’ll be hoping to build on this against Spennymoor on Saturday.