A VALIANT second half fightback from Spennymoor Town earned a valuable point against promotion chasing Brackley Town at the Brewery Field as Jude Oyibo scored a stoppage time equaliser.

Non league day did not disappoint as a bumper crowd were treated to a competitive game in Durham. The result sees Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley’s side keep in touch with the National League North play-off places.

Ellis Myles was the first to threaten in the game as he latched onto a curling cross at the back post It was an awkward bounce but the half volley forced a strong save out of young goalkeeper Harry Flatters.

It didn’t take much longer for the in form Brackley to surge into the lead in Durham. Matt Lowe found some room on the left hand side and whipped in a cross with pace. Lee Ndlovu got in front of his marker and powered his header passed Flatters into the net on eight minutes.

Moors continued to struggle with deliveries into the box and this time James Armson had the freedom of the penalty area to power a header passed the post.

Glen Taylor, a man who is so reliable in front of goal, thought he had brought the game level when a ball Jordan Thewliss squeezed it’s way through the Brackley defence. Taylor’s calm finish was ruled out by the offside flag.

From there, Moors began to find more of a rhythm in the game and were handed a huge chance when Oyibo was felled inside the penalty area from a short corner by Louis Lomas and the referee pointed to the spot.

Taylor is usually such a confident figure from the penalty spot but showed anything but as he slammed the ball straight down the middle and into the arms of Danny Lewis as a big opportunity went begging.

The Northern Echo: Glen Taylor shows frustration after missing his spotkick. PICTURE: DAVID NELSON.Glen Taylor shows frustration after missing his spotkick. PICTURE: DAVID NELSON.

It didn’t deter the home side from pushing to find an equaliser and this time, Jordan Preston was the guilty party from close range. Ehtan Pye’s high cross dropped onto the head of Preston just outside the six yard box but his effort was clawed away by Lewis with a smart save to his right.

On the stroke of half-time, Brackley caught Moors on the break as Ndlovu drove at the heart of the defence and threaded a ball to his right. The sliding James Curtis stretched every part of his body to block the effort but luckily Matt Lowe's first time strike flew over the bar.

Judging by the way the home side came out in the second half, they may well have received the proverbial rocket from the management team. Two minutes in, Taylor climbed highest from a corner ball and powered a header goalwards but Lewis made a smart save to his right and Brackley cleared into touch.

Oyibo, who had been Moors biggest threat throughout the game, showed good pace and strength to drive through Brackley but failed to provide the end product latching his shot over the bar.

The momentum swung back Brackley’s way as Armson was upended by Pye right on the edge of the box. Instead of striking on the edge of the box, Shephard Murombedzi tried a smart pass to Wes York but his shot was blocked away by Joe Tait.

With ten minutes left on the clock, Moors through bodies forward in search of a valuable point and deny Brackley a huge win. The most unlikely of sources Kenton Richardson, another Sunderland loanee, latched onto a deflection from a cross but his low strike on the turn was saved by the legs of Lewis.

Another unlikely source threatened the Brackley goal as centre-half Joe Tait struck a first time volley from the edge of the box but the visitor’s keeper was once again on hand to palm away the effort.

With seven minutes of stoppage time on the clock, Moors efforts were rewarded. Taylor flicked on a long ball on the halfway line and Oyibo beat the offside trap. He showed the composure and poise that was missing throughout the game to slide the ball into the bottom left corner.

Armson could have stolen the points for Brackley as they threw the kitchen sink back at Moors in the dying embers. He latched onto a half volley at the back post but saw his effort whizz agonisingly wide of the post. That was all of the action at the Brewery Field as the two teams shared the spoils.

Flatters; Richardson, Tait, Curtis, Pye; Chandler, Ramshaw, Thewlis, Oyibo, Preston; Taylor

Subs: Brierley, Ofosu, Hall, Dyce, Spokes