NEIL WARNOCK expects to make a decision over Duncan Watmore’s future in the next couple of days, with the former Sunderland winger having impressed during a trial at Middlesbrough’s Rockliffe Park training ground.

Watmore, who is a free agent after his Sunderland contract expired earlier this summer, has spent the last two weeks training with Boro’s first-team squad.

He is set to return to Rockliffe this morning, with Warnock due to discuss his position with Boro chairman Steve Gibson.

The Middlesbrough manager would like to offer Watmore a short-term deal to the end of the season, and is hoping to receive the green light to push through a deal despite the Government’s latest lockdown announcement ending any hope of fans returning to football grounds for at least another month.

“I’m not really aware of what’s going to happen, but he’s (Watmore) done ever so well,” said Warnock. “I’m pleased for him.

“I’m not sure what we can do regarding signings, but he wanted to get fit and it’s been a good opportunity for him. He’s done really well, and it’s still ongoing. I don’t know whether we can make a signing, but I would like him (if we could get him).”

Warnock is resigned to being without Ashley Fletcher for at least another two months, but there is better news with regard to Dael Fry, who should be available for tomorrow night’s trip to Blackburn Rovers.

Fry was not involved in Saturday’s win over Nottingham Forest as he has been struggling with a sickness bug, but the centre-half, who missed a chunk of pre-season after testing positive for Covid-19, is due to train with the rest of Boro’s senior group this morning.

“Dael was a lot better (on Saturday) morning, but still not quite right so it wasn’t worth risking him,” said Warnock. “I’ve told him to try to get ready for Tuesday.

“You know what it’s like with sickness and diarrhoea, it just weakens you. He’s had it for four days. He had cramp the other night and played with it (against Coventry), but he’s just had diarrhoea since.

“He was a lot better after the doc went to see him. I spoke to him about 11am and he just wished us all the best and I said I’ll hopefully see him on Monday.”