Alfreton 0 Spennymoor Town 2.

Two goals by Rob Ramshaw gave Moors their fourth consecutive league win at Alfreton – and put them on the fringe of the play off places.

The game was in doubt until 90 minutes before kick-off, but Moors were pleased that it was given the go-ahead, and while their victory wasn’t as big as last season when they won 7-1, their two-goal victory margin was just as convincing.

The points put them up to eighth in the table, just behind the play offs on goal difference, and manager Jason Ainsley said; “The game was really close to being off, but we were pleased that Alfreton had the right equipment to drain the pitch.

“Ironically, they were the same sort of conditions as last year when we won there.

“The pitch played well, considering the amount of rain that had fallen, and we produced a very good performance. I would have taken a 2-0 win before the game – that’s six wins out of our last seven matches now. I thought it could have been 3-0, because Glen Taylor’s effort in the second half looked as if it was well over the line. I thought we dominated for most of the game, we had the opportunities to score more.

“Rob took his goals really well, especially his second. There was some good play by James Curtis and Ben McKenna in the build up to the goal.

“Alfreton were a direct team, but I thought we coped with them well. That’s two clean sheets in a row away from home in the league that we’ve kept now, we’re a lot more solid than what we were at the start of the season.”

Moors almost took the lead when Shane Henry was just off target from a corner, then James Roberts almost rounded keeper Charlie Andrew, but the keeper just managed to get a hand on the ball.

Moors’ early pressure paid off, when James Curtis played a great ball out to Ben McKenna, who took a touch and crossed perfectly for Ramshaw to run in and head past Andrew.

Glen Taylor nearly added a second immediately with a free kick that Andrew just managed to scramble away, and just on half times Roberts fired just over the bar.

After half time, Henry dribbled through but had his shot saved, but Danny Clarke nearly levelled at the other end with a header that came back off the bar.

There was huge controversy on 54 minutes when Taylor crashed a free kick off the underside of the bar, with Moors claiming that the ball had bounced down well over the line, but the referee waved play on.

Taylor was just off target again on the hour, but that didn’t matter because Ramshaw soon scored his second of the game, when he moved inside and fired past the helpless Andrew.

Roberts was inches wide from a third, while Anderson was denied right at the end.

Moors are in action again on Tuesday night, away to Brackley where they won in the play offs last season.

Team: Gould, Magnay, Mason, Chandler, Buddle, Curtis, Roberts (sub Anderson 78), Henry, Taylor (sub Boyes 88), Ramshaw, McKenna (sub Hall 90) Subs not used: Hibbs, Atkinson In the BetVictor NPL Premier Division, South Shields lost 1-0 at home to Lancaster and are now only two points clear of the rest, while Whitby came from behind to draw 3-3 with Nantwich.

In the North West Division, Marske had a great 6-1 home win over Runcorn Linnets.

The games involving Morpeth and Dunston were both postponed.