Ashton United 2 Spennymoor Town 6.

Spennymoor are in the draw for the fourth qualifying round for the third time in six seasons with a comfortable win at Ashton United in a real end-to-end game.

There could easily have been double the number of goals in this game, with both teams creating a huge number of chances.

But Moors striker Glen Taylor once again showed his quality, with four of the six goals to take his tally to ten for the season, not bad considering he was out because of injury for three weeks – and he also missed a penalty.

Manager Jason Ainsley said; “Glen should get the player of the round award, because at times he was unplayable. His first goal in particular was really special, and Ashton didn’t know how to handle him. His goals were superb and he still missed a penalty. But he showed that the penalty miss didn’t affect him, because soon after he rifled one into the bottom corner.

That’s eleven goals we’ve scored now in two FA Cup ties away from home, which isn’t bad going. Glen has scored six of them.

“It could easily have been 4-4 at half time, because the match was really open, with chances galore at both ends. We got a goal right on half time which really helped us, and we came out of the traps well in the second half and scored a great team goal for 3-2. Once we got to 4-2, we took complete control and could have scored more than six. It was a great win against a team who included several players who were playing in the National League North not long ago.

“We need to defend better than we did in the first half when we conceded twice, and we shouldn’t have to score three to make sure that we win matches.

“Having said that, a lot of players had their best game yet for the club.

“We’d love to have a home tie now, it seems ages since we played an FA Cup tie at the Brewery Field.”

Moors took the lead after just three minutes when Taylor got away from his marker, cleverly lifted the ball over the advancing keeper, then volleyed the ball home.

But Ashton immediately bounced back on 9 minutes when the Moors defence didn’t pick up Casian Anghel, who nipped through and beat Mattie Gould.

Ashton nearly went 2-1 up with a header by Steven Tames that hit the post, but the same player found the back of the net on 15 minutes when he scored from a set up by Anghel.

The game was completely open at this point, and Ashton keeper Lloyd Allinson made good saves from James Roberts and Rob Ramshaw, although he didn’t know much about a second save he made from Ramshaw with his legs.

Chris Rowney nearly made it 3-1 to Ashton with an effort that went just wide, before Moors deservedly levelled just before half time when Ben McKenna sent Ramshaw away, and this time the midfielder comfortably beat Allinson.

The second half was just as open, but this time Moors took their chances.

McKenna struck the ball to the other side of the area, where Roberts crossed back into the middle for Taylor to turn home.

Taylor nearly scored his hat trick when he burst through, but his lob went just wide, then midfielder Jami Chandler had an effort cleared off the line with McKenna putting the rebound over.

At the other end, Jordan Slew hit the post and Gould pulled off a good save from Anghel.

Moors took something of a grip on the game on 64 minutes when Roberts sent McKenna away, and he made ground into the middle to convert the return pass for 4-2.

Taylor was then brought down by Allinson for a penalty after he had broken through, but Taylor put the spot kick too close to the keeper, who saved.

But just two minutes later, on 76 minutes, Taylor wasn’t to be denied when he beat Allinson from an acute angle to make it 5-2, and in the closing minutes sub Adam Boyes set up Mark Anderson for the sixth.

Gould, Magnay, Mason, Chandler (sub Anderson 76), Buddle, Curtis, Ward, Ramshaw, Taylor (sub Boyes 82), Roberts, McKenna (sub Cogdon 86). Subs: Williams, Atkinson.

Moors are joined in the next round by Gateshead, who won 1-0 at Kidsgrove.

However, Dunston lost 3-2 at home to Colne after being 2-1 up at one stage, while Blyth lost 4-2 at Hednesford, from a level below them. Morpeth lost 1-0 at Nantwich, while Whitby replay on Monday night at Gloucester after drawing 1-1.

In the BetVictor NPL Premier League, South Shields beat Atherton Collieries 3-0 and are now eight points clear at the top.

Marske United drew 2-2 with leaders Workington at Mount Pleasant to keep their unbeaten record intact.