Spennymoor 1 Southport 1.

Spennymoor had a late penalty by Glen Taylor to thank for rescuing them a point in a below-par display at home to Southport.

It looked as if Moors were slipping to their second successive defeat when the referee pulled up a Southport defender for dangerous play, and Taylor stepped up and scored from the spot to salvage a point.

And yet, in stoppage time, Ryan Hall could have won the game, but that would have been an injustice on Southport.

Nevertheless, Moors are now six points behind the leaders because Stockport won at Boston.

Southport had the first chance of the game in the second minute, when Dion Charles controlled a through ball and forced Moors keeper Mattie Gould into a good save, but Moors replied with a header by Shane Henry that was straight at keeper Daniel Hanford, then the keeper was in the right place to hold an effort by Andy Johnson.

Southport looked dangerous at this point, and they had another good chance through David Morgan, who forced Gould into his second good save of the game.

Southport continued to press, and they nearly opened the scoring with a Bradley Bauress free kick for a foul by Stephen Brogan that went just over the bar.

Gould then kept his side in the game with two more stops; the first from a low shot by Jordan Archer then Charles wriggled through but the keeper managed to block him.

These were certainly nervous times for Spennymoor, but they were nearly eased when Mark Anderson latched on to a throw in and fired just wide of the post.

Moors were perhaps relieved to hear the half time whistle.

Southport caused another anxious moment at the start of the second half when Ryan Astles fired narrowly wide with a right foot shot from a corner.

Astles had another chance midway through the half when again he found space, but his effort was scrambled off the line.

In an effort to change the dynamics of the game, manager Jason Ainsley made his second sub of the night, sending on Shaun Tuton for Shane Henry on 65 minutes, and the winger’s first real contribution was a low cross that Glen Taylor couldn’t quite reach.

But it was Southport who finally broke through on 82 minutes, when Jack Sampson turned quickly in the box, and beat Gould with a low shot.

However, Moors were handed a lifeline on 87 minutes when Taylor was almost felled by a high tackle in the area, and he picked himself up to score from the spot.

Both sides nearly won it in the dying minutes. Sampson’s lob over Gould just went wide, then Hall blazed over when it seemed easier to score.

Moors have another home game on Saturday against Guiseley, and they’ll be looking for a much better performance.

Gould, Williams, Harrison, Curtis, Brogan, Chandler (sub Boyes 85), Ramshaw, Henry (sub Tuton 65), Anderson, Johnson (sub Hall 58), Taylor.

Subs: Thackray, Elliott,, Boyes.

Attendance 660.