GEORGE Thomson capped a superb comeback as promotion-chasing Harrogate Town claimed a sensational 3-2 win at Dover.

Town led early on when Mark Beck's header found the corner before a frantic final 11 minutes ensued at the Crabble Athletic Ground.

The Whites looked to have turned it round with two quickfire goals as Jamie Allen prodded in from close range to level for the hosts before Jai Reason struck firmly into the top corner just two minutes later.

But Beck scored his second from a cross by substitute Aaron Williams to bring the visitors level before midfielder Thomson cut inside and smashed into the top corner to win it for Simon Weaver's side in the second minute of stoppage time.

Harrogate climbed back into the play-off places above Gateshead courtesy of this win.

Harrogate: Belshaw; Senior (Howe 61), Kitching, Thomson, Falkingham, Fallowfield, Burrell, Emmett, Kerry (Mottley-Henry 74), Beck, Muldoon (Williams 82). Subs (not used): Cracknell, Woods.

PLAY-OFF chasing Gateshead were left frustrated after being held to a goalless draw at home by struggling Havant - and swapped places with Harrogate.

The Hawks had a chance to go ahead after four minutes, but when Wes Fogden flicked the ball on from a low Rory Williams cross, nobody was on hand to turn it in.

Gateshead's Greg Olley should have done better after 20 minutes, but shot straight at the Havant keeper from inside the area before Robbie Tinkler forced Ben Dudzinski into a fine save on the half-hour.

Fogden went close just before half-time, but Gateshead keeper Aynsley Pears kept him at bay with an important block.

And with 12 minutes to go, Steven Rigg just failed to get a touch at the back post as Gateshead, who lie a point outside the play-off places, had to settle for a point against a Havant side who are one point above the relegation zone.

Gateshead: Pears; Kerr, Mellish, Tinkler, Devitt, Forbes, Olley, White, Thomson, Rigg. Subs (not used): Foden, Hunter, Salkeld, Maloney, McGeoch.

STEVE Watson hailed the “most complete performance” during his five-game reign as York City manager following a 2-0 home win over Ashton United.

Having seen his new team concede 11 goals in the previous four games, Watson celebrated his first clean sheet in charge and, despite Jordan Burrow’s match-winning brace coming late on following 83rd and 89th-minute efforts, the former Gateshead boss insisted the Minstermen were worthy winners of maximum points.

At the other end, Ashton only managed two on-target efforts – both headers from skipper Luke Ashworth, with one cleared off the line by David Ferguson and the other hitting the outside of an upright.

Watson told the York Press: “It was a solid display and, while the goals didn’t come until late on and I can understand people getting impatient, nobody will roll over for us in this league, especially when you’ve been in the bottom third for so long.

“Adam Bartlett didn’t have a save to make though and it was the first time we’ve looked completely on the ball defensively and didn’t look like we were going to concede over 90 minutes. We also looked like we weren’t going to drop off the pace for the first time and I thought we ran them into the ground.

“We had five or six sitters and created enough chances to win three or four games, so we got exactly what we deserved and, hopefully, we can exude a bit more confidence now going forward. It was our most complete performance so far, but we will get better, because I hope we can play better football further down the line.”

York City: Bartlett; Griffiths, Mirfin, Newton, Ferguson; York, Burgess, Moke (Law 88); Wright (Parkin 68), Burrow, Kempster. Subs (not used): Bencherif, Harris, Whitley.