Birmingham Moseley 36 Darlington Mowden Park 41

DARLINGTON MOWDEN PARK moved to within a point of top spot in National One as they claimed a last-gasp win over Birmingham Moseley at Billesley Common.

Mowden scored six tries in a topsy-turvy game that saw the lead change hands on eight separate occasions, with their five-point win lifting them into fourth position in a congested league table.

Danny Brown’s side started on the front foot and opened the scoring after just four minutes with a deft Garry Law grubber kick enabling Josh Hall to dot down in the corner.

The hosts replied through a Jay Tyack try, before Warren Seals added a penalty to his earlier conversion to keep the lead at five points.

Moseley went ahead for the first time on 16 minutes when they were awarded a penalty try from a five-metre scrum.

Jordon Poole crossed to restore Mowden’s advantage on the half-hour mark after Tom Fidler was shown a yellow card, and an end-to-end first half continued as captain Rob Lewis crossed for Moseley’s third try, making the score 19-15.

However, Mowden had the final word of the first half, with Brandon Asher-Wood finding a gap in the Moseley defence to release Callum Mackenzie, who raced away to score.

With Seals converting from out wide, the visitors led 22-19 at the break, but Moseley came out strongly at the start of the second half, scoring ten unanswered points within 15 minutes of the restart.

Fly-half James Williams slotted a penalty to level the scores, before Sam Pointed finished well on the left touchline to give Moseley the lead.

Mowden scrum-half Matt Dudman burrowed over to level the scores, before Joe Duffy picked a smart line to give his side the lead once more.

That set up a nervy final ten minutes, with Mowden leading by seven points, and Moseley looked to have secured a draw with two minutes left when Pointon crossed for his second try of the game and Williams converted brilliantly from the touchline.

However, with the clock in the red, it was Mowden who struck a decisive blow as Mackenzie picked the ball from the back of a ruck on halfway and evaded the cover defence to power over in the corner.

It was Mowden’s second last-minute win in as many weeks, with Brown’s side due to return to action at The Northern Echo Arena on Saturday with a home game against Sale FC.