YORK City manager Martin Gray has enforced an alcohol ban at Bootham Crescent until the end of the season.

The former Darlington boss has forbidden his players from recreational drinking for the next two months, arguing the time to indulge will be when the team has something to toast.

Gray was speaking after his team ground out a 1-0 home win over Boston United, following Ben Middleton’s second-half own goal.

Tempers flared at the end of the contest as City midfielder Simon Heslop was sent off, along with Boston pair Andy Thanoj and the hapless Harrogate Town loan defender Middleton.

Issuing his booze stance at the final whistle, Gray told the York Press: “There will be no alcohol at all from now until the end of the season.

“We’ll celebrate when we’ve won something. We’ve got nine games to go and we’ve got to finish as high as we possibly can.”

The Minstermen’s triumph lifted the club up to a season-equalling highest league position of fourth, although play-off rivals Blyth, Kidderminster and Spennymoor would go above Gray’s team if they take advantage of their games in hand.

Spennymoor, who are still in the FA Trophy, have played six fixtures less than City, but Gray added such backlogs could now act as a hindrance for fellow promotion contenders.

Gray said: “We’ve only got one midweek night game left (at Kidderminster on Tuesday) and those long journeys for lads who have been at work, like Blyth will need to do when they go to Telford, do affect performances”

York City: Bartlett; Parslow, Bencherif, Newton; Moke (Smith 64), Pattison, Heslop, Connolly, Ferguson; Almond (Burn 86), Kempster (Correia 66). Subs (not used): Brown, Simpson.

DANNY Johnson registered a poacher's second-half hat-trick in Gateshead's remarkable 7-1 win over Maidenhead at the International Stadium.

Richard Peniket prodded the home side in front midway through the first half and though Jake Hyde quickly headed Alan Devonshire's men level, Jamal Fyfield pounced from close range two minutes later when a corner was not effectively cleared.

In the second half, Johnson came into his own, extending the Heed's lead from six yards following a good passing interchange by Ben Fox and Rees Greenwood.

The striker added his second when Peniket nodded Paddy McLaughlin's corner down into his path, and later capitalised on a woeful Max Kilman back-pass.

McLaughlin and substitute Jordan Burrow added to the scoreline late on.

Gateshead: Montgomery; Byrne (Vassell 77), Barrow, Fox, Fyfield, Kerr, York (Preston 68), McLaughlin, Greenwood (Burrow 73), Peniket, Johnson. Subs (not used): McNall, Hanford.