FRUSTRATED boss Martin Gray insisted that York City’s players must start carrying out his instructions following a 2-1 defeat at second-bottom Boston United.

The struggling Pilgrims took maximum points after second-half goals from Jordan Keane and Ashley Hemmings cancelled out Adriano Moke’s 19th-minute effort.

It was a result that saw City drop out of the play-off positions and down to ninth place in the National League North standings.

The game also represented a 13th without a clean sheet for the visitors and an irritated Gray told the York Press: “I’ve been here two months now and it’s the most frustrated I have felt.

“At 1-0, I thought we were in control of the game and didn’t look like conceding, but the manner that we did on both occasions is a concern. I am the coach and manager and I work very hard on the training ground to counteract these things, but people need to listen and take instructions on board.

“We have players who have played at this level and higher and they should be experienced enough to be disciplined out of possession. If that’s the case, we don’t need to score three goals to win a game – 1-0 would be enough.”

YORK: Bartlett; Parslow, Burn, Bencherif, Ferguson; Moke (Muggleton 75), Rowe, Newton; Morgan-Smith (Connolly 65), Parkin, Gray (Smith 75). Subs (not used): Law, Simpson.

GATESHEAD bowed out of the FA Cup after losing 5-0 to Luton Town - when there was a worrying injury for full-back Scott Barrow.

The Hatters, leading League Two, had too much quality and took control with a goal either side of half-time to ensure they claimed a place in the third round.

It was Olly Lee who put Luton ahead five minutes before the break. He directed a right footed effort from the middle of the box inside the right corner.

That was a blow to Gateshead, who had just seen Jordan Burrow's header saved at the other end following a good cross from Luke Hannant.

There had to be a 16-minute delay because Barrow clashed with his own keeper in the build up to that opener. He had to leave the International Stadium in an ambulance and in a neck brace.

Then Luton put the game safe when Dan Potts headed in from close range after a lovely centre from Andrew Shinnie on the hour, before Lee added his second seven minutes later.

And to complete the comfortable win, Danny Hylton turned in the fourth in the dying seconds after meeting Sunderland-born Jordan Cook's pass.

And there was still time for Luke Berry to add a fifth before the whistle did blow.

GATESHEAD: Hanford; Tinkler, Byrne, Kerr, Barrow (Fyfield 45), Hannant, Maxwell (Preston 54), McLaughlin, Johnson, Burrow, O'Donnell (Peniket 55). Subs (not used): Montgomery, Vassell, York.