A YOUNG mother who never got over the suicide of her mother took her own life in exactly the same way, an inquest heard.

Sarah Louise Proud had struggled with depression and alcohol dependency as she struggled to come to terms with her mother’s death on the eve of her fifth birthday.

The 30-year-old was found by her partner of 11-years, Mark Demoily, in the early hours of Sunday, January 5 after the pair had spent the day together with their young son, Teesside Coroner’s Court heard today (Monday, May 19).

Mr Demoily’s statement, which was read out in court by the coroner’s officer, said his partner had never got over the death of her mother when she as a child and, as a result, she had become dependent on alcohol and was on medication to help to treat her depression.

He said the pair and their young son had been to a pub on the Saturday afternoon for some food and had a couple of drinks before returning home via the off-licence, where he said Miss Proud bought a bottle of wine.

The inquest heard how the pair had enjoyed the evening before Mr Deloily fell asleep on the sofa. He said: “At around 2am I woke up and she was watching Somewhere Over the Rainbow because it reminded her of her mother and she seemed fine.”

He fell asleep again before waking up at 5am and realised that his partner was not next to him. Thinking she had gone to bed, he said: “I went to the stairs and found Sarah lying on her back wearing her pyjamas and dressing gown.”

Emergency services were called and Mr Demoily carried out CPR until a paramedic arrived on the scene to take over but she was declared dead at the couple’s house on Rydal Avenue, Billingham.

Mechanic Mr Demoily’s statement showed how he had discovered another empty bottle of wine in the kitchen that he didn’t realise had been in the house.

A report by PC Robert Tapster, who was the first police officer on the scene, said there had been no issues or upsets throughout the previous day.

Her medical notes at the Norton Medical Centre showed how the 30-year-old had been suffering from depression for more than 10 years and had taken an overdose of tablets in 2004.

Pathologist Dr Jan Lowe said there was bruising around her throat, that the alcohol level in Miss Proud’s blood and urine was high and that there was no sign of any other injuries.

Assistant Teesside Coroner Jo Wharton recorded a verdict that Miss Proud killed herself.