A MAN who was arrested on suspicion of possessing child pornography was found hanged at his home the following day, an inquest heard.

Timothy Sydney Pattison, 42, was found by his son and wife, from whom he was separated, at his home in Colburn, near Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, on Saturday, August 18, 2012.

The Richmond inquest yesterday (Friday, February 8) heard how Mr Pattison was been arrested on Friday, August 17 and his computer and electronic equipment confiscated by police.

Mr Pattison, a former picture-framer, was taken to Northallerton Police station where he was questioned, and admitted to officers that he suffered with depression and had self-harmed in the past.

Following the interview two officers voiced concerns to Sergeant Peter Perkins that they felt Mr Pattison could pose a threat to himself.

Sgt Perkins told the inquest: “I took these concerns seriously when I assessed him before release and I was satisfied that he was not at risk – I asked if he wanted to see a doctor before he left and he was adamant he did not.”

Mr Pattison made several telephone calls that evening to his partner Vivian Whitby – who was spending the night with family – as well as to his estranged wife Charlotte Pattison and brother Philip Pattison, hinting  he had been thinking about harming himself.

His brother went to see him and said Mr Pattison joked that he had tried to hang himself but was unsuccessful.

“He was angry and upset when I went round but by the time I left after midnight he seemed content and we had made plans for the next day,” he said.

The following day his family became increasingly concerned when they were unable to contact him. His son and Mrs Pattison went round to check on him and found the back door of his house open.

His bedroom door was locked but his son, 20, forced it open to find him already dead.

Detective Sergeant Dave Horne told the inquest: “Although the investigation is not yet complete, there are indications of child pornography on his computer – but Mr Pattison was not convicted.”

Coroner Rob Turnbull said: “I don’t believe there is any more anyone could have done – only he knew the images would be found and with that in mind he took his own life.”