FIREFIGHTERS were called out after a toddler got his head stuck in a toilet training seat.

A crew used a junior hacksaw to remove the plastic seat from the boy’s neck.

The alarm was raised at 2pm on Sunday and firefighters went to the boy’s home in Houghton-le-Spring.

A spokesman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said: “We had one appliance from Rainton Bridge which went to the house.

“It was a male child with a toilet training seat stuck around his neck.

“Fire crews used a junior hacksaw to partially cut the plastic seat which allowed it to be manoeuvred over the child’s head safely.

“The child was uninjured and was left in the care of his parents.”