DARLINGTON lost their opening National League North game to a late goal at AFC Fylde’s Mill Farm, and had to reshuffle twice in the game because of injuries to strikers Adam Campbell and Luke Charman.

They created the game’s first opportunity when Jarrett Rivers cleverly played the ball inside for Sean Reid, who ran into the box and pulled his shot wide of the far post.

Fylde didn’t really create anything in the game until 26 minutes when new signing Jordan Hulme managed to break away from the Darlington defence, but keeper Johnny Saltmer got down well to save his low left foot shot.

Quakers had a loud penalty appeal turned down after a low cross by Justin Donowa, on for the injured Campbell, appeared to be handled by a defender, but the referee waved play on.

Fylde had a chance on half-time when Kurt Willoughby broke away after he won possession, but Saltmer pushed his shot around the post.

Willoughby hit the bar at the start of the second half, and Hulme poked the rebound wide, but Sean Reid was narrowly over with a header at the other end.

Just when it looked as if Quakers’ defence would keep the home side out, Fylde broke through on 78 minutes when sub Nick Haughton cut in from the right and struck a low left-foot shot that went just inside the left-hand post.

Quakers substitute Ben Hedley nearly rescued a point in the closing stages, but his low shot went just wide.

Spennymoor also started their league season, and Jason Ainsley’s side kicked off with a 2-1 win over Farsley Celtic at Brewery Field.

Rob Ramshaw opened the scoring in the first half, and Moors’ task became easier when Farsley goalkeeper Steven Drench was dismissed for handling the ball outside the area.

Glen Taylor doubled Spennymoor’s lead in the second half as he converted Ben McKenna’s cross, and while Jake Charles pulled a goal back for Farsley with eight minutes left, the hosts held on for a deserved victory.

Hartlepool United now boast two wins from two in the National League after they followed up their weekend home win over Aldershot with a 2-1 success at Chesterfield.