A TRAIN passenger put on a monkey mask and head torch and pulled out a knife less than three weeks after the London Bridge terrorist attacks, a court heard.

Mohammed Farook was arrested at Darlington railway station by British Transport Police after a frightened fellow traveller and a guard raised the alarm.

The late-night drama unfolded onboard a Virgin East Coast journey from Scotland to Leeds on June 21 - just 18 days after the terror in the capital.

No explanation has been given for Farook’s “quite bizarre behaviour”, but he told his probation officer that he sometimes has psychotic episodes.

The 20-year-old walked free from Teesside Crown Court after a judge heard he has served a prison sentence since - for having a knife - and is doing well.

His lawyer, Ben Pegman, said yesterday that his incarceration seems to have had a positive effect on Farook, who has since stopped taking cocaine.

The judge, Recorder Mark McKone, told him: “Anyone who produces a knife on a train can expect to go to prison, and you would have received an immediate sentence today had it not been for the fact that since this offence you have served a sentence for offences in September.”

The court heard how Farook startled the passenger sitting opposite him when he reached into his bag, and put on the face mask and head torch.

Prosecutor Jonathan Harley said when she looked at him again, she realised he had also taken out a packet of three knives and removed one - black-handled kitchen knife with a five-inch blade.

When he was arrested at 11.30pm at Darlington station, he had the knife in the waistband of his trousers, and a folding pocket-knife in his back pocket.

Mr Harley said: “Being in an enclosed space, it was very alarming. There could be only one reason for someone wearing a monkey mask, and producing a knife, and it must have been to draw attention to himself and, and that must have instilled fear.”

The judge told Farook: “This was an offence caused in dangerous circumstances. Your quite bizarre behaviour understandably scared the female passenger.

“It is important that you do not carry another knife. It will be a long sentence next time. It is not an excuse that you are carrying a knife for your own protection. Many people do that and either end up being killed or getting involved in a fight and a long sentence for violence.

“No more knives and no more trouble because you will be at real risk of going back to custody.”

Farook, who was said to have been homeless and travelling around the country on trains at an earlier hearing, is now living with his uncle in Powburn Gardens, Newcastle.

He pleaded guilty to possessing offensive weapons, a possessing cocaine and cannabis, and received an 18-week sentence, suspended for two years.

Mr Recorder McCone also imposed an 18-month drug rehabilitation requirement to monitor his progress, and 20 days of rehabilitation activity requirement.

He told Farook: “You have used your time in custody well, you have withdrawn from drugs, and responding well to post-sentence supervision. I don’t want to interfere with the progress you are making.”

Mr Pegman said earlier: “He now has stable accommodation after drifting around the country on trains.”