A KILLER was jailed today for stabbing to death his teenage nephew after a petty argument over a mobile phone.

Alan Cooper knifed 14-year-old Jordan in front of the victim's grandmother - the killer's mother, Susan Smith.

The three were living together at her home in Newriggs, Washington, Tyne and Wear, when 32-year-old Cooper struck.

After a five-day trial, a jury at Newcastle Crown Court convicted him of murder by a majority last week.

He had admitted killing Jordan, but claimed he had suffered an abnormality of mind which diminished his responsibility.

The jury heard Cooper had a history of violence towards family members when drunk.

Jailing him for life, Judge John Milford said Cooper was a highly dangerous man.

He was ordered to serve at least 22 years before being considered for parole.

"You have been a bully since you were a small child and given to losing your temper and using violence, which is more likely when you have taken drink," the judge said.

"You took the decision to kill Jordan, which you did not repent.

"You take no responsibility for your actions."

Copper remained expressionless as he was taken down.

The court heard that he and his nephew had bickered after the teenager used his uncles phone to contact a girlfriend on Facebook.

Cooper had teased Jordan that he would contact the girl later, and an argument ensued.

Mrs Smith defused the row and her grandson watched television with her in her room.

As they sat in the dark, her son burst in and attacked Jordan.

The onslaught carried on outside her room and she dialled 999, saying: "My son is killing my grandson."

As paramedics arrived to treat him, the fatally-wounded boy said: "I'm going to die, arent I?"

Judge Milford said the paramedic had made a statement explaining the particular impact the murder had had on him.

Mrs Smith said: "We have suffered an unbearable loss.

I cannot adequately describe the gaping hole his death has left in our lives or the despair that we feel."

Mitigating, Alastair MacDonald QC said Cooper had an excellent relationship with Jordan before the attack.

He said: "He is a man who tried desperately to battle against his anger but failed.

"He has now lost every tie with his family.

"He has not been visited in prison at all, for obvious reasons.

"He is now deprived of even the basic succour of a family when he is going to serve what will inevitably be a long sentence."

The court heard Cooper had a long history of offending, with multiple convictions for arson, dishonesty, car crimes, and violence - including an attack in which he attempted to gouge out his father's eyes.

He killed Jordan when on bail for an horrific attack on his girlfriend in which she was forced to crawl naked to her neigbours home for help.

He left her with a perforated duodenum which had to be repaired surgically, causing scars which meant she could never again wear a bikini in her life.