For the second time in just a few weeks there was a wipeout of club cricket with only a handful of games in the south of the region managing to make a start.

While three weeks ago two matches managed finished, all 177 matches bit the dust.

Only the NYSD League saw any play at all as groundstaff battled against the elements throughout the morning, enabling eight matches across the four divisions to at start.

And the ten balls managed at Stokesley, where Barnard Castle were the visitors, took on some significance for the home team as it enabled their new South African pro to become qualified for their Fifteens semi-final at Bishop Auckland on Wednesday.

South Western Districts pace bowler Gurshwin Rabie was due to debut the previous weekend but a delayed flight ended those hopes.

Under league rules professionals must have played a league game before becoming eligible for cup ties so he had to frustratingly sit out those games until making a league appearance - and a total washout would have meant that wait being extended.

Bishop Auckland were at Great Ayton, where the ever optimistic groundsman suggested that as Roseberry Topping could still be seen there was every chance of play.

The game started on time, but four balls in several claps of thunder and a deluge ended proceedings.

The only side to gain in the top divisions was promotion chasing Sedgefield who squeezed in eight overs in their division one home match against Darlington.

Martin Lower picked up two wickets in that time to leave the Quakers on 7-2, a scoreline that earned Sedgefield what could prove to be a crucial bonus point.

Elsewhere around the region not a ball was bowled, but North East Durham League champions Coundon could add the word windfall to the other weather related adjectives as they were handed 20 points the day before the storms hit when opponents Coxhoe had to concede their match - a result which took Coundon to within eight points of leaders East Rainton with a game in hand.

And there was a similar tale in the Langbaurgh League's second division when promotion-chasing Hartlepool Power Station were handed the win points when Thimbleby conceded their match, a result that saw Power surge to within two points of the joint leaders.