An epileptic man died after jumping through a second-floor window.

John Paul Jobling, known as Paul, leapt through the window of his flat in Steward Crescent, South Shields, on June 3, 2009.

The 49-year-old had suffered epilepsy since he was five and had been taking medication to help control his fits.

At an inquest, coroner Terence Carney rejected a verdict of suicide and said he believed Mr Jobling's medical condition had led to his death.

Recording a narrative verdict, he added: "His death has been due to epilepsy and the psychotic effects of the condition on him."

The court heard that Mr Jobling also had mental health problems.

He was said to be distressed because of alleged anti-social behaviour at a neighbouring flat.

Police said there had been reports of domestic-related incidents relating to a particular flat and Mr Jobling himself had called officers six times between September 2007 and June 2008.

He reported people shouting and arguing as well as an alleged assault and other disturbances.

No incidents had been reported to police immediately before his death.

In a statement, a South Tyneside Council tenancy enforcement officer told the inquest that Mr Jobling had made a complaint about noise towards the end of 2008. But in January 2009, he said the problem had eased off and was happy for the complaint to be closed.

Mr Jobling's family members said he believed the offenders may have found out he had reported them to the authorities and were targeting him.

Police told the court there was nothing to suggest he was being targeted specifically.

Mr Jobling, who had an epileptic fit two days before his death, had jumped out of a window once before, in 2008, when he injured himself.

Mr Carney said: "It was the epilepsy. Over time the doctors are desperately trying to address it in all sorts of ways and control this, using all manner of drugs.

"It does not mean that these drugs were wrongly prescribed. They were essentially prescribed. But unfortunately they were not necessarily working.

"Doctors carried out an MRI scan to see if there was any evidence of an underlying problem manifesting itself. But there was not.

"There is no doubt in my mind that he was having depression, anxiety and psychosis. It's this psychosis which has manifested itself on this day. He had no control over it.

"I'm satisfied that this incident was as a direct result of the nature of that condition and its ongoing effects."