A FIRST win in 11 attempts and Hartlepool United are up to the heady heights of 16th in League One.

More importantly, there is a smile on everyone's face around Victoria Park again - it hasn't been this lively since the end of last season.

Matty Robson's fine solo effort was enough for Pool's first victory since December 10 and inflicted a first defeat on Chestefield since October.

Under the temporary stewardship of Paul Stephenson, Pool have taken four points from six.

He doesn't want the job permanently, but the last two performances have certainly eased the pressure on the team.

It showed again last night as they appeared much more relaxed and at ease throughout than they had been.

During the nervous closing minutes, there was no way they were giving this one up. Fight and determination was there in abundance.

Pool didn't start like a team without a win since last year and, with the crowd right behind them on this occasion, they twice went close early on.

Stephen Turnbull fed Antony Sweeney and his shot towards the near post was parried for a corner.

Chris Llewellyn then collected a loose ball and drilled a shot from 30 yards that whistled wide.

Llewellyn won another flag kick and Ritchie Humphreys' long ball found Micky Nelson, who should have done better than plant his free header high and wide.

After so many morose home performances this season, Pool were fully committed and playing with new-found verve.

David Foley, on his first start, showed his commitment with a thunderous tackle on half-way.

Ben Clark headed across goal and Nelson hooked a volley against the outside of the post.

Pool were in command, but again it was about taking chances and converting possession into goals, something they have failed to do on too many occasions.

From a huge Dimi Konstantopoulos clearance, Llewellyn took possession after Reuben Hazell hopelessly misread the bounce, but he couldn't get the ball through to Adam Boyd and another opening went begging.

They then started making life a little too hard for themselves with a clutch of sloppy passes and clearances out of defence as Chesterfield had some possession for the first time.

Boyd had started and showed at times he is still some way from match fitness following knee ligament damage.

He showed some trademark deft touches and the 90-minute run out will benefit him in the vital weeks to come.

In a flat start to the second period, Pool were lucky to escape when Caleb Folan edged his way into the area and steered a shot wide with only Konstantopoulos to beat.

Robson and Jon Daly were introduced on the hour to try to give Pool a boost - and Robson soon had Pool in front.

He drove at the defence from half-way, beating a challenge from Derek Niven, and fired in a low, curling drive from 25 yards.

It was Pool's first home goal since the 1-1 draw with Swindon on January 2 and with 25 minutes to keep their lead intact, it was going to be a tense time.

Humphreys flung his body in the way of a Paul Hall shot and the ball, which could have ended anywhere, went wide for a corner.

Folan drove a low shot at goal and Konstantopoulos saved with his legs.

Pool were determined to keep possession, but with the crowd becoming impatient, Robson then looked set for his second goal, driving from distance only for Barry Roche to go full length and push the ball around the post.

Roche then did the same to deny Boyd in injury time.

Read more about Hartlepool here.