FIREFIGHTERS led a university student to safety after a kitchen fire left his flat filled with smoke.

Two crews were sent to the three-storey building in Hallgarth Street, Durham, yesterday morning after he dialled 999.

Bill Roberts, operations manager for the County Durham and Darlington brigade, said. "When we got the call the student was still in the flat and our operator spoke to him and gave him advice. Once the first crew got there, they were able to lead him out. He had suffered smoke inhalation."

The fire was quickly put out.