Bottom club Esh Winning hit title contenders Billingham Synthonia with a four-goal blast to secure a shock win.

Esh had failed to win any of their previous ten league games but Synners didn't know what hit them in the second-half.

Esh manager Vince Kirkup said: "Considering that we only had 12 regular players available, and two of them had flu, then we did well to produce our best football of the season. The result wasn't a fluke.

"Hopefully, we have turned the corner now."

Esh took the lead after 65 minutes when Ian Bickerstaffe scored from a Craig Coates pass, then Ian Ward opened up the Synners defence for Coates to slot home.

Coates then dribbled past two players and fired beyond Synners' keeper John Jackson for the third. He completed his hat-trick with a shot on the turn.

Tow Law conceded five goals for the second time in four days against Jarrow Roofing, this time losing 5-1.

Just as they did last week, they took the lead with an effort by Carl Beasley, but Roofing hit back.

Lee O'Donovan equalised, then Darryl Leach scored from a Paul Chow pass. O'Donovan made it 3-1 just after the break, then poor defending by Lawyers saw them concede two further goals, both to Craig Nelson.

Bedlington are unbeaten in their last ten matches after they beat Billingham Town 2-1. Tony Shandran set up Steve Preen to open the scoring for Bedlington on 26 minutes, then Mark Atkinson crossed for Keith Douglas to head the second after half-time.

Steve Huggins pulled a goal back for Town when he beat two defenders and fired past Michael Robinson.

Dunston are up to fourth after a 3-0 home win over Chester-le-Street. Graeme Armstrong scored his tenth league goal of the season after 36 minutes, then Alex Benjamin raced down the right wing and fired the second two minutes later.

Graydon was involved again when he set up Benjamin to score the third midway through the second half.

In the second division, Peterlee won the basement battle at Guisborough 3-0, Craig Jones, Paul Griffiths and Micky Hay on target.

Guisborough are now two points behind second-bottom Kennek Ryhope CA who drew their third successive league game, 1-1 at North Shields. Ian Watson put Ryhope in front before Iain Davidson equalised.

Northallerton drew 1-1 at Ryton. The visitors took the lead through Dominic Gamble, but youngster Carl Piecha levelled.

Horden won 2-0 at Jarrow to move into the last 32 of the Durham Challenge Cup, Lee Ure and Craig Stephens netting.