A HOUSING company has issued a reminder to its tenants of the danger of an invisible killer.

The Gateshead Housing Company, which manages almost 23,000 homes for Gateshead Council, has launched a campaign to ensure tenants are aware of the threat from carbon monoxide.

The company annually checks and services thousands of gas appliances in homes for free.

People are now being asked to help the company carry out this year's checks as quickly as possible.

Gateshead Housing Company chief executive Bill Fullen said: "Every year, dozens of people across the UK die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and fires which have not been properly maintained.

"The annual gas servicing of every home is vital for our tenants' safety, and we are fully committed to achieving our 100 per cent target of servicing every single year."

Similar services are carried out by housing companies and local authorities across the region.

At Durham City Council, a spokesman said leaflets were sent to all tenants outlining the dangers of carbon monoxide and the symptoms of poisoning, as well as action that must be taken if a leak is suspected.

Darlington Borough Council also checks its 5,649 properties and issues warnings and advice on the potential dangers.

Other councils throughout the region also carry out checks, and The Northern Echo's Silent Killer campaign aims to raise awareness.

Read more about the Silent Killer campaign here.