Worthington CIU Winter

Andrew Aisbitt of Cockton Hill topped the ton for the highest break in the First Division when he put in 105 at Fishburn A. Aisbitt already had the top spot with 75. Despite his fine effort his team went down by the odd point when Brian Quest and John Carter put the home side ahead before Andrew's break to take the third. John Griffin clinched the win for Fishburn with Kevin Mordica taking the final points for the Hill.

Old Shildon strengthened their lead at the top when they only dropped one point to the visiting Brandon. Jossie Aldworth, Michael Pratt, Billy Goggins and Stephen Bennett took the first four frames for the Shildon team with Graham Jackson returning to action for Brandon with an excellent win. This pushed Old Shildon ten points clear of Cockton Hill, who are four ahead of Fishburn A.

Wheatley Hill A slipped out of the top three when they only managed one point from their visit to Newton Aycliffe, whose four points proved a great boost to their effort to avoid relegation. Ronnie Hall put the home side ahead with Dennis Clish equalising but from there Newton Aycliffe took over with wins from John Briddick, Stuart Neil and Michael Hewitt.

Wheatley Hill B, already doomed to relegation, looked have got away to a great start at home to Shotton Palms, when Terry Ellison put in a 30 break but found Paul Hickman steadily fight back until he took the frame. The Hill then moved into the lead with wins from Dave Blyth and Steve Cave only to see John Armstrong level and then go to victory when Barry Hall beat Mike Laverick in the decider.

In a match, which could have a bearing on relegation, Witton Gilbert edged through to an odd point home win over Spennymoor A. John Rooney senior took the first frame for Witton on the black and son, John junior followed to move the home side two ahead. Paul Biddle reduced the arrears but Ray Coatman clinched the win for Witton before Ronnie Bateman took the final points for the Moors.

The relegation issues from the Second Division were made clearer when both Hunwick A and Durham City could only manage one point from their away matches. Hunwick went to Meadowfield and had Trevor Lomax as their only winner, while Ray Stout, Stephen Hughes, Norman Smith and Craig Hughes won for the home side. This leaves Hunwick A seven points behind Crowtrees, who are third from bottom.

Durham City only managed one point at Wingate when Eric Wright was their lone scorer of the point that kept them two ahead of Hunwick A. The Wingate point scorers were Steve Allen with a 33 break, Dean Jones, Geoff Howe and Dave Hammond.

Crowtrees took two valuable points from the visiting Sherburn Village with wins from Sonny Hann with a 32 break and Keith McLauchlan. The visitors had wins from John Bower, Adrian Twist and Alan Greener, who took the decider against John Hall.

At the top of the Second Division, Willington continued their unbeaten run towards the title when they only dropped one point at Belmont, who had Steven Armstrong with a 35 break as their point scorer. The Willington winners were Colin Lomax, Paul Atkinson with a 57 break, Tom Parkin and Jeremy Martin.

Ferryhill strengthened their grip on the other Second Division promotion spot when they beat nearest rivals Newhouse A by the odd point. Dale Hebdon and Bernie Jones put Ferryhill ahead with Steve Mountain replying for the visitors. Ian Roddam took the vital winning point for Ferryhill with John Maddox taking the final frame for Newhouse A, who are now five points behind Ferryhill.

Spennymoor B managed to close the gap on Sacriston at the top of the Third Division after they took four points from the visiting Leeholme A, who had Lawrence Jones as their only winner. The Moors winners were Karl McCormick, Wayne Parry with a 42 break, Micky Anderson and Stuart Ball.

Sacriston visited Hunwick B and held on to a share of the top spot with Spennymoor B when Alan Richardson beat Barry Fleming in the decider. Steven Bradley and Kevin Laing had moved the visitors into the lead but Ian Richardson and Norman Kirkley squared the match.

Newhouse B are still promotion contenders from the Third Division after they only dropped one point to the visiting West Auckland. Alan McCluskey put the home side ahead with Kelvin Fletcher levelling. Glen Morton then put in a 44 break, the second highest in the Third Division this season, to move Newhouse ahead and David Jackson followed with a 33 break to further increase the home lead. Brian Eltringham completed a good win for Newhouse B, which leaves them four points behind Sacriston with the same games played.

Fishburn B whitewashed their hosts at Leeholme B with wins from Winston Hodgson, George Whitelock, Alan Wilson, Wayne Oliver and Keith Binks.

Billy Row were stretched before making an odd point win at Tow Law when Ken Rider beat Michael Basham in the decider. Alan Smith and Gordon Sample put the Row ahead but Alex Ogilvie and Alfie Edwards levelled.

One of the freak results in last season's knock-out Cup was replayed as a friendly with Stanley Central entertaining the surprisingly victorious Tow Law A. The visitors again managed to come through to victory on the final blue in an excellent evening, only marred by the absence of the home side's Dennis Payne, who is in Australia, but who, no doubt, will be informed of the outcome at future league meetings.

The League Presentation Evening will be held at Spennymoor on Saturday, May 19. Players requiring tickets must put in their orders at the meeting on March 29.

Results: Old Shildon 4 Brandon 1; Tow Law B 2 Billy Row 3; Wingate 4 Durham City 1; Witton Gilbert 3 Spennymoor A 2; Leeholme B 0 Fishburn B 5; Newton Aycliffe 4 Wheatley Hill A 1; Fishburn A 3 Cockton Hill 2; Spennymoor B 4 Leeholme A 1; Crowtrees 2 Sherburn Village 3; Belmont 1 Willington 4; Wheatley Hill B 2 Shotton Palms 3.

CIU Worthington Singles Championship

The semi-finals, both played between teammates, produced two classic matches of high scoring and fast play without any huge breaks. At Hunwick Paul Atkinson of Willington met his colleague, Tom Parkin and won all three frames with a series of breaks in the 20s and 30s. Parkin never really got going as Atkinson was on fire and the match was completed in just over three quarters of an hour.

At Leeholme, on a much tighter potting table, the match between the Old Shildon players, Michael Pratt and Charlie Blake took a little longer but there was a similar outcome. Pratt found his best form and, while not hitting massive breaks, kept up a similar run as Atkinson did at Hunwick to win 3-0. The Final will be held in Newton Aycliffe Club at 7.30pm on Monday, March 26.

South West Durham Association

The next meeting will be held at old Shildon Club on Wednesday, March 28 when all teams intending to compete must pay their £18 subscription fees. The team who have indicated their intention to play are Old Shildon, Shildon Elm Road, Horndale, Bishop Auckland Gents A and B, Barnard Castle Folly's, Darlington East End, Darlington Snooker Club A and B, Tindale Crescent, Darlington Cricket Club, Ferryhill, Bishop Auckland Cricket Club and the Southerne Club. Any other interested teams should contact the secretary, Jossie Aldworth on (01388) 777362