FROM this newspaper 100 years ago. - Col Ropner MP, on Monday informed his constituents that he had made up his mind not to speak on any subject during the greater part of the first session, for the reason that he had a great deal to learn, and generally because he found that what he had to say had been already said. The time would come, however, when there would be a subject under discussion which he thoroughly understood, and then he would have his little say.

From this newspaper 50 years ago. - Having increased the rate from 14s to 16s, Darlington Town Council heard a small plea in the direction of economy when Ald J. Blumer moved the reference back of a Watch Committee minute authorising the provision of civic receptions to Shelbourne (Dublin) and Limerick City football teams which are to play Darlington Football Club on May 7th and 9th respectively. The minute also authorised the town clerk to make suitable arrangements for the provision of dinner and entertainment. The proposed matches are part of Darlington Football Club's contribution to the Festival of Britain. Ald Blumer said: "I may be in a minority but frankly I do not see there is any necessity for this. Why should we select one type of sport for not only a civic reception but a dinner and entertainment? What's wrong with the swimming club, bowling clubs and others? I think we are treading on thin ice by adopting this minute."

From this newspaper 25 years ago. - A passing motorist's report of seeing a body in a field off the A19 near Thirsk sent police officers rushing to the spot on Tuesday afternoon. Their investigation revealed a log lying in a ditch with an outstretched branch and a large exhaust system with a red band encircling its middle. Neither object appeared to have met its end under suspicious circumstances.

Also. - The 15-year-old carcass of a cow which had been destroyed and buried at a farm at Liverton Mines caused some discussion among members of the Langbaurgh Environmental Health Committee at a meeting on Monday. Dr John Tolland told members that the carcass had been dug up during building excavations. The carcass had been reburied under the direction of the Cleveland police and Ministry of Agriculture officials, and the area had been kept under surveillance for the seven-day period of incubation of anthrax. During that time none of the site workers had shown any signs of infection. Coun Ben Scott asked whether the carcass had been left unattended because if this was the case there could be a danger from birds carrying the disease away from the area. The Department of Environmental Health officer Mr Norman Gray said that there was no danger in this respect.