Willington, already Second Division champions, were hoping to complete the season unbeaten but they crashed at Wingate in the decider. Alan Tupling put the home side ahead but Paul Atkinson levelled.

Dave Hammond restored Wingate's lead only to see Jeremy Martin pull Willington back again. In the decider Dean Jones took Wingate to victory when he beat Tommy Parkin on the black.

Ferryhill came close to ensuring the runners-up spot in the Second Division after they beat the visiting Langley Park by the odd point. The Park took the first and last frames through Stephen Coates and Robert Roche, while Ferryhill went to victory with wins from Ian Roddam, Bernie Jones and Dale Hebdon. This win moves Ferryhill five points in front of Wingate, who have a match in hand.

Sacriston established themselves as Third Division favourites after they only dropped one point at Leeholme B and were able to move one point ahead of Spennymoor B, who were without a match. Ray Gill took the only point for the home side, while Willy Nixon, Steve Bradley, Kevin Laing and Ronnie Bradley won for the visitors.

Newhouse B virtually moved themselves out of promotion from the Third Division when they dropped the first two points at home to Leeholme A when Barry Shaw and Lawrence Jones won. The home side came back with wins from John O'Driscoll and David Jackson to level the game and in the decider, Newhouse's Glen Morton beat Tony Clish. This leaves Newhouse B three points behind Spennymoor B with just one match left.

Shildon, First Division champions, beat the visiting Wheatley Hill A by the odd point to move 14 points clear at the top. Dave Walker took the first frame and Ronnie Peacock the last for the Hill but Shildon went to victory with wins from Billy Goggins with a 36 break, Michael Pratt and Charlie Blake.

Cockton Hill took the first four frames at Wheatley Hill B but then Dave Blyth with a 32 break scored the home side's only point. The Cockton Hill winners were Lee Taylor, George Chapman, Harold Lomax and Andrew Aisbitt. This leaves them in equal second place with Fisburn A, who whitewashed the visiting Stanley Central with wins from Charlie Hirst, John Griffin, Brian Quest, Peter Davison and John Carter.

Brandon, who were one time threatened with relegation, moved up to fourth spot after they only dropped one point at Witton Gilbert, who had Ian Renwick as their only winner. Brandon's points came from John Hall, Kevin Sample, Graham Jackson and Colin Goodrich.

Spennymoor A eased their relegation fears with an odd point home win over Shotton Palms, but even this does not guarantee them First Division snooker next season. Paul Biddle, Eddie Rhodes and Dennis Dodd took the first three points for the Moors with Barry Hall and Jimmy Evans taking the last two for Shotton.

Steven Armstrong, Chris Morley and Willy McGrath took the first three frames for Belmont at home to Sherburn Village, who recovered to take the last two points through Alan Greener with a 30 break and Scott Mallaburn.

Stanley Central gave themselves a possible life-line to stay in the First Division when they won a re-arranged match at Wheatley Hill A by the odd point. Dave Walker and Dean Bryden took points for the Hill with Michael Vicary and Walter Cornell levelling. In the decider Stanley's Jim Dufton beat Dennis Clish on the black. This leaves the Central one point behind Witton Gilbert and two behind Spennymoor A and Newton Aycliffe with just one match left.

In the clash of the teams at the bottom of the Second Division Durham City went down in the decider to the visiting Hunwick A in a match where either team had to take five points to avert relegation. Brian Dunn and Michael Pratt won for Durham with Alan Lawson and Trevor Lomax levelling. In the decider Hunwick's Trevor Cook beat Barry Stoddart.

Only Malcolm Hughes took a home point for Meadowfield against Newhouse A, who had wins from Ian Dinsdale, Keith Mann, John Maddox and Steve Mountain.

Hunwick B whitewashed the visiting Tow Law A with wins from Barry Fleming, Norman Kirkley, Stan Bennett, Neville Blenkinsop and Ian Richardson.

Michael Basham and Alfie Edwards scored points for Tow Law B against the visiting West Auckland side, who went to victory with wins from Chris Kitch, Andrew Dent and Kelvin Fletcher.

Fishburn B made a good win at Billy Row, whose only point came from Gordon Sample. Malcolm Bell, Keith Whitfield, Alan Wilson and keith Binks won for the visitors.

In a re-arranged match Leeholme A beat the visiting Tow Law A in the decider when Barry Shaw beat Arthur Henderson. Lawrence Jones and Carl Brown took points for Leeholme with Ken Robinson and Doug Watson replying.

l Tickets for the league presentation evening on Saturday, May 19, must be ordered by telephone from Ronnie Bateman on (01388) 817645 as soon as possible. The tickets will then be handed out at the next meeting on Thursday, April 26 at Meadowfield. All trophies must be returned at the meeting.

Results: Ferryhill 3 Langley Park 2; Witton Gilbert 1 Brandon 4; Belmont 3 Sherburn Village 2; Leeholme B 1 Sacriston 4; Wheatley Hill B 1 Cockton Hill 4; Durham City 2 Hunwick A 3; Hunwick B 5 Tow Law A 0; Tow Law B 2 West Auckland 3; Newhouse B 3 Leeholme A 2; Spennymoor A 3 Shotton Palms 2; Meadowfield 1 Newhouse A 4; Billy Row 1 Fishburn B 4; Old Shildon 3 Wheatley Hill A 2; Fishburn A 5 Stanley Central 0; Wheatley Hill A 2 Stanley Central 3; Leeholme A 3 Tow Law A 2; Wingate 3 Willington 2.

Cleveland League

Carlin How B won this season's Ivor Robinson Trophy Team Handicap after overcoming Redcar Unionist's A at Saltburn Conservative Club.

The Unionist's team consisted of Adrian Smith (+15), Peter Robinson (+5) and Derek Holmes (+15). Carlin How's side were Andrew Wiseman (+10), Mark Agar (+10) and Ross McMillan (+10). The match comprised of each team member playing two frames against their drawn opponent, with all points scored by each team then tallied up for the 'long game'.

Andrew Wiseman got off to a flying start when in his first frame he compiled an outstanding 30 break. His opponent, Adrian Smith, then dug in his heels and towards the latter part of the game compiled an 18 clearance, lady luck was on his side when he fluked the final blue and then followed on by potted both the pink and black to snatch the game by 56 points to 50. The second game can only be described as a dire battle with no player taking a strangle hold on the game. Smith managed to come out on top beating Wiseman by 47 points to 32. It was now looking pretty grim for Carlin How as they were trailing 2-0 but one consolation being they were only 21 points in arrears in the long game.

Mark Agar was next up against Peter Robinson. Neither player dominated as both were playing a cagey game waiting for their opponent to make the first mistake. Agar ended up the eventual winner of their first clash by a score line of 58-43 however, Robinson had the last say when winning their second encounter 64-39. Carlin were now trailing 3-1 and were 31 points in arrears for the long game.

Ross McMillan was last up drawn against the Unionist's Derek Holmes. McMillan played a highly tactical game taking his chances when they presented themselves but when required playing a shrewd safety game. He went on to win his first game 64-30. The match was now finely in the balance with Carlin trailing 3-2 but were now ahead in the long game by a mere three points. Derek Holmes took an early lead in the final frame after compiling a 15 break but McMillan was having none of it after immediately replying with a 17. Towards the latter part of the game McMillan took total charge and eventually won 60-43. The final frame score was three frames each but Carlin had clinched the match by winning on the long game by 26 points.

Worthington CIU

Summer League

Eforms were handed in at the meeting in Meadowfield Club from Wheatley Hill A, Shotton Palms, Newton Aycliffe, Spennymoor A, Willington, Wheatley Hill B, Crook Belle Vue, Brandon, Langley Park, Newhouse A, Durham City, Ferryhill, Hunwick, Spennymoor B, Tow Law, Crowtrees, Fishburn B, West Auckland, Leeholme A and Leeholme B for the new season, which will begin on May 1.

If the following teams wish to renew their membership they must send in their entry forms and handicap sheets to the secretary to arrive by Tuesday, 10 April: Old Shildon, Fishburn A, Witton Gilbert, Stanley Central, Sherburn Village, Wingate, Newhouse B, Meadowfield and Sacriston.

South West

Durham Association

The new season, starting on April 17, will have two divisions of eight teams each after those attending the annual meeting were accepted. The First Division will consist of Hopetown, Albert Hill, Darlington Snooker Club A, Old Shildon, Barnard Castle Follys, Bishop Auckland Cricket Club, Harrowgate Hill and Darlington Cricket Club.

The Second Division will be made up of Darlington Snooker Club B, Bishop Auckland Gents Club A and B, Ferryhill, Barnard Castle Glaxo, Darlington East End, Shildon Elm Road and Northgate.