Spraire progressed through the preliminary round tie by easily beating Classic World Of Fitness 6-1 in the Northern Echo League Cup.

In a physical encounter, Spraire opened the scoring when Richie Hindle headed home a Scott Davison cross. Classic fought back and scored a deserved equaliser with a James Turbitt spot-kick. Graham Dodsworth put Spraire back in front with a crisp left-foot drive before the victory was comfortably sealed with goals from Danny Richmond and a hat-trick from Richie Hindle bringing his tally to four.

Royal British Legion came back from an early scare to progress. Their victims Northern Spirit RA shot out of the blocks, taking a fifth-minute lead when Matt Waistell chipped the keeper from fully 25 yards.

Spirit increased their lead in the tenth minute when Ali Johnson stabbed a loose ball past the keeper. Spirit's two-goal cushion and higher league status may have led them into a false sense of security because then they nosedived, allowing Legion back in with goals from Trevor Cooke and a superb chip from Michael Merideth to make it all square at the interval. In the second-half both sides cancelled each other out, producing a dreary affair but with extra time an almost certainty Trevor Cooke struck his second of the game sealing a 3-2 victory for the lower division underdogs.

Springfield produced the result of the day with an impressive 6-1 victory over the league's unbeaten leaders Coundon Miners Arms who were without their regular keeper. Darren Tate was on target again hitting two for the Springers with the other goals coming from James Brooks, Garry Preston, new signing Andrew Rustico and Mark Jenkinson. Coundon's consolation came from Wayne Carr.

Shuttle and Loom easily progressed after beating Northern Spirit Colts who, despite a man of the match display from Andy Salisbury, showed little resistance in losing 6-0. Jamie Smith, Stuart Curry (2) and Chris Airey (3) all notched.

Copper Beech DCS defeated Stooperdale RA 3-1 by virtue of the golden goal rule. Northern Echo staged a smash and grab raid against Biglin's News, gaining a late equaliser and winning 2-1, 28 minutes into extra time, with a golden goal. AXA Insurance trounced Brown Trout 9-0.

In Division Two, BA Derby had an outstanding game against Bishop Auckland Newton Cap winning 8-3. On target for Derby were Matthew Gowland (2), Mark Foreman (2), Thomas Furness (3) and Michael Latchem. The Cappers' consolations were scored by James Foster (2) and Andrew Carrick.

Nestfield Club defeated Smith and Allen. Tom Robson, Gary Mitchel, Mark Kems and Chris Robinson (2) hit the target.

BA Kings Head reached the Third Division Cup final by beating Hurworth Albion 2-0 away from home. And in the only Third Division game, 21st All Stars defeated AFC Orange 4-1.

Crook and District League

WILLINGTON Cottles kept their title hopes alive with a resounding 12-1 victory over Stanhope Town. Andrew Howard top scored with four goals, Wayne Fleming notched a hat-trick and the rest came from Barry Goundry (2), Malcolm Williams, Darren Burton and Peter Franks. Trevor Wright scored Stanhope's consolation.

Andrew Morgan gave Billy Row the lead at Howden Australian. The home side equalised just before half-time through Kevin Burke. Howden had the better chances in the second-half but once again were let down by poor finishing and Billy Row held out for a point.

Leaders Crook Wanderers took a 20th- minute lead at home to Crook White Swan through Chris Pounder. Stephen Emery added a second in the 35th minute.

Stuart Dawson and substitute Mark Nichol made it 4-0 before John Paul Welford pulled a goal back two minutes from time.