THE last Feethams derby was one to remember.

A game of frantic football was a fitting way to mark Hartlepool's last visit to Darlington's home before they move into a new ground in the summer - and although Chris Turner's men bossed the majority of the first half, no-one could argue with the outcome.

Backed by a travelling support numbering 2,000, Pool created chance after chance in the opening period but Darlington hit back and, typically, Ian Clark notched for Quakers against the club he left in November.

Although Pool never enjoyed the dominance they managed in last season's Feethams derby, they did control most of the first half, so it was against the run of play when Clark opened the scoring.

And the visitors were thankful for a neat Mark Tinkler finish to salvage both a point and pride.

Darlington captain Craig Liddle failed an afternoon fitness test but Steve Harper returned to the side as did David Brightwell after recovering from a calf strain, while youngster David McGurk replaced Adam Reed.

For Pool, Paul Stephenson was back in the starting line-up, with Ritchie Humphreys pushed forward and Kevin Henderson was on the bench.

Chances were non-existent in a cagey first quarter-of-an hour and it wasn't until the 15th minute that the game saw a real opportunity.

It fell to the feet of Clark, but from 18 yards he sliced wide having been played through by Barry Conlon when trying to lob the ball over former roommate Anthony Williams.

But just 60 seconds later Darlington could, and should, have opened the scoring. Conlon picked the ball up on the halfway line and raced towards goal.

But having left Graham Lee and Mark Robinson trailing in his wake the forward poked his effort too near to keeper Williams.

The two chances opened up the game.

Robinson fired wide from the edge of the 18-yard box and then Paul Smith, finding space inside the penalty, hit a low shot that zipped across goal.

Pool began to take control as they kept Quakers camped in their own half and only Darlington's resolute defending and slack shooting prevented the visitors from opening the scoring.

Micky Barron's deep cross landed on the top of Keith Finch's net; Smith saw a looping header drop over the bar; and although Adam Boyd was deemed offside when he fired over, the build-up summed-up Pool's domination of the first 35 minutes.

But against the run of play Quakers took the lead, and inevitably, it was Clark who fired past Williams in front of his former fans in the Polam End.

Neil Wainwright cut inside from the right and passed to Conlon who squared to Clark, sporting a new, short haircut, and he had no hesitation in slamming the ball into the back of the net.

Shortly after the restart Tinkler beat Neil Maddison in the tackle midway through the Darlington half and the ex-York man drove into the box but he took too long in deciding to shoot and McGurk managed to block the effort.

The second half began in a very lively manner, with Adam Boyd squandering a great chance, shooting wide after breaking clear.

However, Quakers almost doubled their advantage when Harper almost lobbed Williams from 30 yards, but his effort clipped the top of the bar with the Welsh goalkeeper beaten.

And Quakers were left to rue that missed chance when Pool equalised just before the hour-mark - but Darlington only had themselves to blame as they made a hash of clearing a corner.

Both substitute Mark Sheeran, on for the injured Clark, and Adam Rundle were too indecisive on the edge of the area before the ball fell to former Darlington trainee James Coppinger on the wing and his cross was neatly tapped in by Tinkler.

Buoyed by the goal, Pool surged forward and were unlucky not to go ahead but Smith's glancing header from 12 yards drifted wide of the upright.

The pace of the game slowed during the middle of the second 45 minutes and opportunities for both sides were restricted as each side cancelled each other out.

Robinson had to be alert when he intercepted a Brian Atkinson's through-ball which would've put Sheeran one on one with the keeper, but minutes later a better touch by Smith inside the area would've rewarded the left-winger with a shot at goal.

But instead he had to settle for a corner after being forced wide.

With the game entering its final ten minutes, gaps began appearing in both defences but that was to be expected given the nature of the match.

A more accurate pass from Atkinson would've sent Rundle racing on goal and then Coppinger blasted over the bar at the other end from 12 yards, but Quakers were thankful when Finch was only booked after hacking down substitute Jermaine Easter outside the box.

Wainwright's low cross to the far post almost reached Sheeran, but an alert Barron was on hand to clear for a corner and then Easter's shot, taken early as he homed in on goal, was saved by Finch in the dying minutes.

Read more about Hartlepool here.