South Cleveland Garages Teesside League

RT Raine Trophy Final

Bedale Ath 6 v 1 Stokesley SC

OBank Holiday Monday, Bedale Athletic retained the RT Raine Trophy with a 6-1 victory over Stokesley SC. After an even but nervy start Bedale Athletic took the lead after fifteen minutes when a Russell Edwards free kick was met unopposed by Adam Bramley who headed home the opener. In the 23rd minute Edwards himself got on the score sheet when he curled a great right foot shot from 20 yards left Stokesley keeper Chris Smith flatfooted. In the second half Stokesley showed a lot more fight and Alistair Hogg in the Bedale goal was brought into action but on the hour Stephen Anderson coolly broke down a Stokesley attack and fed the ball to 27 goal Michael Robinson who in turn released his fellow forward Bramley who slipped his second of the game and 26th of the season past Smith in the Stokesley goal. This seemed to be the killer goal for Stokesley and their head dropped and it was too much for Neil Fawcett who tussled with Johnny Sinclair and was shown the red card. Ten men Stokesley then found themselves 4-0 down ten minutes later when Edwards scored his second of the match when he ghosted past three Stokesley defenders before firing under the diving keeper. A further five minutes later Bedale took an unassailable 5-0 lead when speedy winger Sinclair scored his 13th of the season and substitute Richard Lambert wrapped up the scoring five minutes later with his 12th of the season before Stokesley scored a late consolation through their top scorer who took his tally to 27 for the season.

MacMillan Bowl Final

Nunthorpe Ath 1 v 2 Thornaby

A shock result on Wednesday, May 8 when second placed Nunthorpe Athletic who took the lead through Craig Winter after twenty minutes, were out fought in the second half by Thornaby who first made it all square after sixty-five minutes when David Turner latched onto a mistake by Nunthorpe keeper Martin Ball, who had made a tremendous reaction save in the first half, allowed Turner to slot the ball home from an acute angle. After this goal it was the underdogs Thornaby who are thirteen places below Nunthorpe Athletic who were on top and in the 72nd minute Michael Arif struck to secure the second goal, Nunthorpe pushed forward but found Mark Woolnough in the Thornaby goal in fine form and his cool head and good defending by his defenders held onto their lead and they raised the Bowl at the end of the match.

A result that sees Thornaby awarded the May performance of the month award.


Fishburn Park 2 v 1 BEADS FC

Whitby side Fishburn Park had to come from behind before overcoming Middlesbrough side BEADS FC 2-1. After an even first 40 minutes of play Andy Bowman gave the visitors a 40th minute lead with his 4th of the season, but half time substitute Duncan Marson was the hero when he equalised in the 68th minute before firing home the winner in the 82nd minute, his 9th of the season to send his team up into fourth place in the final League table.

Hollybush Utd 1 v 4 Thornaby YC

Hollybush United ended the season with a disappointing defeat, when they lost to Thornaby Youth Club, with all five goals coming in the first half. Collin Heffron gave the Youth Club a 4th minute lead, with Chris Burton adding the second four minutes later, his 8th of the season, it looked all over for the home side in the 20th minute when Paul Kreczack with his 9th of the season made it 3-0, and Gary Morris heaped more misery on the Hollybush when he made it 4-0 five minute before half time, but Rob Jones pulled a consolation back on the stroke of half time, with his 9th of the season.

Whitby Town Res 2 v 3 Richmond Town

Whitby Town Reserves must of thought they had done enough to secure a draw when drawing 2-2 with visitors Richmond Town with only minutes on the watch, but their was a sting in the tail from Richmond who snatched a last gasp winner despite going behind from the penalty spot, Yan Ankomah scoring after 12 minutes his 14th of the season from the spot, Richmond struck back when poor defending by the Whitby defence allowed Gavin Newall to equalise six minutes later, but the impressive Rajib Elmgaryef regained the home side lead in the 36th minute which they took into the half time break. Three minutes into the second half Steve Collins made it all square and this looked to be the final scoreline until Newall with his second of the match and 6th of the season secured a Richmond win with two minutes left on the watch.

Wolviston Res 4 v 1 Mackinlay Park

Wolviston Reserves were shocked by second from bottom Club Mackinlay Park after only two minutes when Graham Garrett scored with a firm header, but two minutes later they were back on level terms when Steve Dalkin scored his first of the season, just before half time Jonathon Davison gave the home side a huge boost when he made it 2-1 from ten yards out with his 11th of the season. In the second half after withstanding pressure form the visitors the home side were awarded a corner and from James Shepherd was met by Rob Barrett who converted his 4th of the season and Steve Casey then scored the goal of the game to secure the Wolviston win, after their early scar, and move them up to 10th on the league.

Leading scorers (League and League Cup only): 33 - R Teasdale (Cargo Fleet); 27 - M Robinson (Bedale Ath), J Smith (Stokesley SC); 26 - A Bramley (Bedale Ath), Draper (Carlin How); 21 - P Boldison (Nunthorpe Ath); 20 - A Oliver (BEADS FC); 18 - S Marsay (Fishburn Park), I McGowan (Grangetown BC); 17 - R Scott (Carlin How), R Shaw (Thornaby YC); 16 - D Campbell (Acklam SW), P Taite (Bedale Ath), L Found (Fishburn Park), L Doughty (Nunthorpe Ath); 15 - L Atkinson (Acklam SW), D Talukder (Acklam SW), M Say (Carlin How), G Hyde (Nunthorpe Ath); 14 - M Hall (Fishburn Park), G Simpson (Grangetown BC), Y Ankomah (Whitby Town Res); 13 - J Sinclair (Bedale Ath), R Meehan (Richmond Town), M Allen (Thornaby YC); 12 - S Burns (Acklam SW), R Lambert (Bedale Ath), S Starsmore (Carlin How); 11 - P Mescus (Guisb Town Res), N Ward (Hollybush Utd), J Davison (Wolviston Res); 10 - S Cochrane (Grangetown BC), P Pinkney (Nunthorpe Ath), D Jenkinson (Richmond Town), C Eeles (Thornaby), G Wyatt (Thornaby); 9 -G Pain (Cargo Fleet), S Hampton (Carlin How), D Marson (Fishburn Park), I Webster (Grangetown BC), R Jones (Hollybush Utd), M Collantine (Mackinlay Park), G Bickerstaff (New Marske), D Bond (Richmond Town), P Kreczack (Thornaby YC), S Wells (Wolviston Res); 8 - L Green (BEADS FC), P Griffiths (Cargo Fleet), K Hampton (Carlin How), M Meggison (Grangetown BC), G Swinnerton (Nunthorpe Ath), C Burton (Thornaby YC), M Moore (Thornaby YC), S Casey (Wolviston Res); 7 - D Mobberley (Acklam SW), M Partridge (Bedale Ath), D Howe (Cargo Fleet), S Millington (Grangetown BC), M Swift (Grangetown BC), W Gredziak (Richmond Town).

Roll Of Honour 2001-2002: LEAGUE CHAMPIONS - Grangetown Boys Club. LEAGUE RUNNERS-UP - Nunthorpe Athletic


Emergency Services League

No change at the top with two weeks to go of what has been a fascinating season, with both of the top two teams winning easily this week. Easington were six goal winners at Sedgefield, with two goals each for Neil Robinson, Vince Marriner and Paul Footes. Robinson and James Stansmore were their respective man of the matches. The fixture concludes Sedgefield's season, who are hoping for better things next year. Easington maintain their treble chase, but could be undone by having to play three matches in eight days.

Frankland can only win their matches and hope that Easington slip up in their title bid. They had an easy nine goal win over eight man CLS, with top scorer Ian Gibson leading the way with four goals. Peter Jobling scored twice and was man of the match. Richie Knott, Malcolm Penney and Peter Richards scored one each in the romp. Keeper Mark Harding was CLS man of the match. Frankland have only one match remaining, next week against Saints.

Durham Fire Brigade stopped Newcastle from securing third place this week, with a 4-2 win over them. The win pushes the fire brigade up to fifth spot, with potential to finish higher. Four first half goals secured the points, although two goals by Newcastle in the first five minutes of the second half caused concern. Steve Holcroft (2), Scott Walters and Ian Bell got the goals for the fire brigade, with Barrie Joiyce and Paul Kindon scoring for Newcastle.

Derwentside picked up three points when they entertained Darlington, but they made heavy going of their 3-1 win. Kevin Maddick gave the home side the lead early in the game and had to wait to the final minute of the half when Andy McConnell scored from 18 yards. It looked like Derwentside would rue their multitude of missed chances, when Darlo pulled one back early in the second half through a close range effort from Neil Baker. The home side weathered the storm and secured the points when Maddick scored his second goal of the game with a close range header.

Hathaway and Cope Stokelsey League

Cup Final

Redcar Coke Ovens 4 Ennis Square 2 (after extra time)

The final game of the Stokesley League season produced one of the most dramatic comebacks seen for some time. Having already lost out in the Arthur Red Shield final two weeks ago, Redcar Coke Ovens stared defeat in the face for a second time trailing 2-0 to Ennis Square with only ten minutes remaining. Both sides had earlier gone close in the first half of a very open game with plenty of goal mouth action but no goals at the interval. Anthony Gregory broke through one on one with the keeper early in the second half but after the keeper had only managed to parry the ball, Gary French blasted over from close range. Minutes later, Gregory went even closer breaking through once again only this time seeing his fierce driving coming back off the upright. The breakthrough finally came on the hour when Stephen Lee Gent latched on to a defensive error to power the ball home from fifteen yards out to put Ennis ahead.

Minutes later, Ennis could easily have been two up when Jamie Swales rattled the cross bar from a free kick from 20 yards out.

Twenty minutes from time, Ennis did increase their lead when Gent was first to react when the ball broke loose in the six yard box and he made no mistake from close range. Coke Ovens looked to be dead and buried but, digging deep they dragged themselves back into the game ten minutes from time when another shot on target from Gregory was only parried by Ennis keeper Keith Hill and Lee Foreman stooped low to head home the rebound. With just five minutes remaining, Coke Ovens got a lifeline when Foreman equalised from the penalty spot after a handball in the area, although in a frantic finish to normal time, Swales could well have clinched it when his well struck shot hit the post in the dying seconds. With injury effectively reducing them to ten men, and all substitutes used, Coke Ovens still managed to press and midway through the first period of extra time, the ball broke to Graham Watson who showed great control before finishing well.

Gent and Millington both went close for Ennis as they tried to get back into the game but the game was finally settled by John Smith who saw his looping volley settle in the back of the net with five minutes remaining. At the presentation following the final, Ennis Squares Billy Millington collected the player of the season award. Looking ahead to next season, the league is looking to recruit new teams to maintain or hopefully increase the number of teams in the league.

If any teams are considering the possibility of joining the league next season, they should contact the League Secretary on 01642 596979 as soon as possible for more details.

Hathaway and Cope Stokesley League 2001-2002 Honours: League Champions - Dormans FC, Runners Up - Ennis Square; Arthur Reed Shield Winners - Dormans FC, Runners Up - Redcar Coke Ovens; Wilf Leader Trophy Winners - Grenadier, Runners Up - Middlesbrough Post

Office; Cliff Wells Trophy Winners - Woodmans Arms, Runners Up - Bulls Head; Top Goal Scorer - Chris Ellis (Teesside Athletic), Runner Up- Jim McGowan (Dormans Athletic); Player of the Season - Billy Millington (Ennis Square), Runner Up- David Cairns (Bulls Head).