A Hoggarth & Sons Eskvale and Cleveland League - Boosbeck Utd v Lingdale Tavern

Playing in difficult conditions both teams had chances to score. Lingdale were unlucky not to take the lead when Breckon had a goal disallowed after the ball burst the net and it was deemed to have missed the target. The rest of the half was evenly played but remained goalless. In the second half Lingdale started the stronger with chances for Breckon and Calvert forcing saves from the Boosbeck keeper, however it was Boosbeck who opened the scoring in the 65th minute, a Gary Hood slip in the Lingdale defenceallowed Johnson to get round Moore in the Lingdale goal and take his chance well. Boosbeck should then have netted a second but Brown's point blank effort was well stopped by keeper, Moore. Lingdale battled well and with 8 minutes remaining a good build up by Gary and Neil Calvert paved the way for Neil to cross to Downing who fired the ball home. More pressure from Breckon saw him brought down in the box and with just two minutes to go he converted the resulting penalty taking Lingdale through to the next round with a 2-1 win.

Reeth & District v Annandale Hotel

AnnandalE, fielding a very young side, produced their best performance of the season when making the long trip to Reeth. Bowmaker headed Annandale to an early lead, rising unmarked to meet a Garbutt corner. Constant pressure from Annandale resulted in Berry making it 2 - 0 minutes later, after which Reeth were restricted to few chances with Farndale and Heathcock commanding in defence. The second half saw Reeth go close through Simpson and Clarkson but Johnson in the Annandale goal was in excellent form. Annadale continued to push forward, Berry and Lewis going close and some neat passing between the Garbutt brothers causing the home defence some problems. Annadale continued to work hard until the final whistle to ensure a third round spot for the first time in the clubs history. Both teams were indebted to the referee, Mr Addison, who had an excellent game

Brotton WMC v Lealholm

While Brotton began strongly and were on top for most of the first half, the only goal came on 20 minutes following a break by Lealolm, allowing them a slight cushion going into the second half. Brotton continued to push forward in an attempt to equalise but Lealholm once again found a way through to net a second. This was the pattern of the game, Brotton pushing forward but not covering at the back and on 70 minutes Lealholm netted their third. With ten minutes to go Baker pulled a goal back for Brotton followed by a second from Keegans 5 minutes later. Their chances came too late however and Lealolm held on to progress to the next round. Final score 2-3

Grosmont 1 v 4 Goldsborough

After an even ten minutes Goldsboroughn took the lead when following a scramble in the box the ball was cleared to the corner of the field, seemingly safe, and Hicks appeared to fire a crossed shot into the top corner of the net. Two successful shots by Raine ii the 25th and 30th minute, from the edge of the box, gave Goldsborough a 3-0 goal lead at the break. 10 minutes into the second half a through ball found Hicks who slotted past the Grosmont keeper to increase the Goldsborough lead. Grosmont fought back into the game, creating numerous chances but failing to convert until an 80th minute penalty well taken by Jobling gave them a consolation goal. With very little time left the game fizzled out. Final score 1-4.

Saithes Ath 5 v 3 Gt Ayton

Fifteen minutes into the game a Ripley cross from the right found Murray who volleyed the ball into the net to give Gt Ayton the lead. A quickly taken free kick, 15 minutes later saw the Staithes captain slot the ball past the advancing Ayton keeper to level the score. Following an even first half a determined Staithes side went into the lead in the opening minutes of the second with a good shot from 25 yards. Not to be out done a solo goal from Ripley levelled the score again and from then the game was evenly balanced unti, with 20 minutes left Staithes brought on Lee Gibson, who turned the game, scoring 2 goals in as many minutes. Staithes then netted a fifth to gain a 5 - 2 advantage. Late in the game Ayton won a penalty which was successfully converted by Leng but with time running out Staithes held firm to progress to the next round.

Grangetown v Anchor Inn

Following this defeat by Anch, Grangetown's lead at the top of the table was down to a slender 1 point. Anchor took the lead after fifteen minutes when a through ball from midfield was neatly slipped past the Grangetown keeper. Grangetown pressed hard and twice hit the post and saw several more chances saved by the Anchor keeper. In the first ten minutes of the second half Anchor pressed forward and a mistake by the Grangetown keeper led to their second goal. Scott in midfield controlled the game for the Anchor and Grangetown struggled to find a way through, however with 15 minutes remaining Millington broke through the defence and his 18 yard shot went in off the bar. Anchor held on to their 2-1 lead until the final whistle to take the three points.

Lingdale Utd v Whitby Fishermans

Playing in very poor conditions Whitby started the better team, contolling the game and taking the lead after 15 minutes, a Lingdale defender handling the ball on the line. Wood converting the resulting penalty. Whitby dominated the rest of the first half without creating any further chances and carried the slender one goal advantage into the break. Tweo minutes into the second half Lingdale equalised, Hodgson playing a 1 - 2 with Whitehead who scored with a low drive. Lingdale again came close when a header from Whitehead narrowly went wide. It was now Lingdale who were dominant and on 75 minutes a cross from Woodall was headed home by Evans. With only minutes left Whitby levelled after a mix up in the Lingdale defence saw Clark tap home from close range. Lingdale came close to going ahead in the last minute when a shot from Iseton missed the post by inches. Final score 2-2.

Loftus Ath v Hinderwell

Hinderwell began strogly and deservedly went in front through a Sivills goal from close range. The lead was short lived however and two quick goals from Loftus put Hinderwell under pressure. Hinderwell battled well however and earned an equaliser just before the break when Sivills scored again with a long range free kick. The second half was hard fought in heavy conditions. Hinderwells determination held out under Loftus pressure. With Lythe and Clennan performing well in midfield and keeper Robinson being named as man of the match, Hinderwells run of poor results came to an end. A draw proving to be a fair result.

P W D L F A Pts

Grangetown YCC 13 9 0 4 33 13 27

Staithes Ath 10 8 2 0 34 9 26

Brotton WMC 9 7 2 0 31 15 23

Redcar Mackinlay Park 12 7 0 5 32 18 21

Whitby Fishermans 13 6 2 5 20 22 20

Lingdale Tavern 9 6 1 2 30 15 19

Anchor Inn 14 6 1 7 33 37 19

Lingdale Utd 11 5 3 3 30 27 18

Gt Ayton Utd 10 5 1 4 17 18 16

Boosbeck Utd 12 5 1 6 10 18 16

Loftus Ath 8 4 2 2 20 7 14

Highland Laddie 9 4 3 2 20 13 13

Goldsborough 11 3 2 6 19 27 11

Lealholm 10 2 2 6 9 21 8

Annandale Hotel 12 1 1 10 9 35 4

Hinderwell 10 1 1 8 12 46 4

Grosmont 11 1 0 10 10 38 3

Stepy's Coaches Durham Sunday League

Ithe Premier Division leaders Meadowfield Brancepeth Castle increased their lead at the top with a fine 6-0 home win over Coxhoe WMC. Leading marksman Tony Hanson scoring five of the goals with sub Gavin Bell adding a further goal.

Goals from Alan Clark and Ryan Drummond Gave Pelton ROAB a hard-fought win at Fishburn Wmc in their 2-1 away win, Peter Cummings replying for Fishburn.

Sherburn Lambton Arms entertained Newton Hall, the away side scoring first through Dave Oliver, but the Lambton drew level with a strike from Tony Simpson with Martin Clough hitting the winner late in the game.

Fatfield North Biddick travelled to Sedgefield St Edmunds and shared the points in the 1-1 draw. Brian Fairhurst scoring for Sedgefield.

In the First Division two goals each from Shaun Melvin and Paul Bainbridge gave Lumley Sports and Social the points in the 4-1 home win over Bowburn Cooperage. Dave Watchman replying for the Cooperage.

Leaders Chester Garden Farm had to work hard for the points in the 3-2 win at Kelloe Wmc, Andy Soppitt and Shane Tones scoring for the home side.

Top scorers of the day were Witton Gilbert Wmc winning 8-4 at Washington Sports, John Rooney (3), James Slater (2), Richard Eland (2) and one from Kevin Coates.

In the Second Division a fine strike from Graham Stoker was not enough for the Houghton Mill All Stars as they were beaten at home 2-1 by Ouston Red Lion.

Lambton Village entertained Langley Park Wmc and the home side were 3-2 winners. Mark Smith (2) and Natham Savage for Lambton Stuart Dawson and Greg Chapman for Langley.

In the Third Division the only game played due to the weather creating postponements saw Houghton Comrades lose 2-1 at much-improved Ferryhill Wmc. The division's leading scorer Gary Muncaster scoring for the Comrades, but goals from Stuart Dunn and Thomas Wilkinson made sure of the points for Ferryhill.

In the Fourth Division Langley Park Sports and Social were 3-0 winners over the Pot and Glass thanks to goals from James Cutler (2) and Andrew Nagy. Pittington FC were 6-2 winners at Bearpark Wmc thanks to goals from John Liddle (4) and two from James Donaldson, Gary Collinson and Carl Wilkinson replying for Bearpark. Two goals from Paul Webster and one from Micheal Fort earned Brandon Sports the points in the 3-0 home win over Birtley William Hotel.

* Hetton Lyons Cricket Club's involvement in the FA Sunday Cup ended on Sunday at Fantail, Liverpool.

The first half was a tightly-fought game with chances falling to both teams. In the 31st minute Ian Dixon broke the dead lock for Hetton Lyons, quickly followed by a second goal from the head of Lee Innes in the 34th minute.

Fantail scored in the 38th minute to make the score 2-1 at the end of the first period. In the second half Fantail started very strongly pushing hard for an equaliser which they got in the 61st minute. Both sides tried hard to find the net with Stuart Irvine from Hetton Lyons going very close with two efforts narrowly going wide from long distance. The 86th minute saw Stuart Brightwell put Hetton in front for the third time, but well into injury time Fantail scored two goals in quick succession to win the game after some poor defending from the Hetton side. The final score ending in a 4-3 victory to the Liverpool team.

North East Christian Fellowship League

Ithe Charity Shield quarter-final first division Heaton Hearts took the lead from Dula Miah, Nick Tinker equalised for Lanchester Chapel on the hour. In extra time David Marrin and Karl Hepplewhite scored to give second division Lanchester a 3-1 win.

Another second division team St Aiden's Chapel Castington hosted Airport Church Newcastle. Chris Orr opened the scoring for the Saints and made it 2-0 early in the second half. Substitute Matthew Slater pulled a goal back for Airport, Chris Orr completed his hat-trick with the last kick of the match to give his team a 3-1 win.

First division Stranton Saints surged into a 4-0 lead over bottom of the league City Church Sunderland from Andy Normanton (2), Andrew Eldson and an own goal from Paul Oliver. Morris Kamara pulled a goal back for City. Neil Pearson (2), Paul Gough and Paul Jewson finished the match for Stranton to win 8-1.

In division one Ryton Churches and Stakeford Methodist Church swapped places, Stakeford gaining an away win. Moving into a 3-1 lead after 45 minutes and finishing 6-2 winners. Eddie Wild scored twice and strikes from John O'Neil, Chris Scott, Carl Moat and Paul Air, Lee Anderson and Tony Priestley replied for Ryton.

Division two leaders Jesmond Parish Athenians went three goals ahead from Ian Tew, Keith Chambers and Jason Alexander. Middlesbrough Baptist's John Rhodes and Ian Marshall pulled a match back to 3-2 and scared Athenians who held on to claim the three points.

Division One

P W D L F A Pts

Jesmond Parish 8 7 1 0 30 6 22

Metro Church S'land 8 6 1 1 25 17 19

Monkwearmouth Christians 6 4 0 2 21 15 12

Bethshann Christians 8 3 3 2 15 16 12

Consett Churches 8 3 2 3 23 17 11

Stranton Saints H'pool 6 3 0 3 16 12 9

Whitley Bay Churches 8 3 0 5 16 15 9

Airport Church N'Castle 8 2 3 3 17 22 9

Stakeford Methodist 8 3 0 5 16 26 9

Ryton Churches 8 12 3 4 17 29 6

Lanchester Chapel 8 1 3 4 17 29 6

St Peters Low Fell 8 2 0 6 15 30 6

Division Two

P W D L F A Pts

Jesmond Parish 8 7 1 0 37 14 22

St Aidens Chapel 8 6 1 1 31 12 19

Bethany Christians 8 6 0 2 20 12 18

St Johns Church 9 5 1 3 27 25 16

Heaton Hearts 7 3 2 2 16 21 11

Heaton Hearts 7 3 2 2 26 21 11

Yarm Emmanuel 8 3 1 4 20 16 10

Middlesbrough Baptists 8 3 0 5 16 19 9

Heworth Christian Fellowship 7 2 2 3 27 20 8

Jesmond Parish Corinthians 8 2 2 4 19 25 8

Stockton Baptists Tabernacle 8 2 1 5 16 25 7

Whitley Bay Baptist 9 2 0 7 9 40 6

City Church N'Castle 8 1 1 6 14 32 4