The Premier championship is still wide open only six points separate the first five clubs so that it is a case of any one from five to win it.

Killingworth are the new leaders winning 3-1 at home against Seaton Delaval. The champions Billingham lost 0-1 away to Grindon and Owton Manor won 2-1 at Sunderland Catholic to move into second spot.

Ferryhill Greyhound dropped two valuable home points by drawing 1-1 with Usworth. Keeper Bill Owers made several great saves and Martin McQuade levelled two minutes from time for the Greyhound.

Steels SC won 4-1 away to the Lord Seaham and remain favourites as they have games in hand of the other clubs but they must win them.

In division one Blackhall Hardwick won 3-0 away to Wallsend Rising Sun and top the division. Marden are in second place winning 6-0 against Barnes Hotel. Langley Park Rams Head won 2-1 away to the Willow Pond, but still have a fight on their hands to avoid relegation. Trailing 0-1 at the break they fought back strongly after the restart and goals from Wilkinson and Gary Collins gave them a hard earned victory.

In division two Barnard Castle stay on target for promotion, they defeated fellow rivals Spring Gardens 1-0 away and are in fifth spot with games in hand of those above them. The first half was very close ending 0-0 but Geoff White headed home the winner, hit shot pushed on to the bar by the keeper, but rebounded back to him to head into the net and give Castle three valuable points.

Consett have come good in their efforts to avoid relegation. They defeated the Sunderland side Red House 5-3 away from home. They led 2-0 at the interval then 4-1 but twice had to come back when the home side scored.

In division three Billingham Town lost 2-3 at home to a revitalised Durham C Strollers but still remain in third place. They cannot afford these setbacks if they are to gain promotion as there are three other clubs taking advantage. West Cornforth lost 1-3 at home against second placed Hylton Castle. They trailed 0-2 at the interval to goals from Terry Wright and Les Swansborough. They pulled one back after the restart and put Hylton under considerable pressure and looked like getting a draw but were caught out when Peter Joyce scored from a breakaway ten minutes from time to make it 3-1 to Hylton.

In Division Four Oddies are odds-on for promotion winning 4-2 away to Thornley Celtic and are now seven points clear leaders with games in hand.

Crook Town have still a chance of promotion as three clubs go up they were 1-0 away to Marsden Vets, a side who have only lost five games but have drawn ten. Crook have games in hand of those above them and providing they don't lose many games have a definite chance.

A good case can also be made out for Houghton Swifts. They won 4-0 at home to Taylors and also have games in hand.

Wynyard Old Boys are one of the clubs who just enjoy playing and keeping fit and getting any points is always an added bonus. They drew 1-1 away to Winstons. Trailing 0-1 at half-time they brought on new signing Barry Fawcett (late of Darlington Railway) after the restart. This substitution made all the difference and shortly after Ken Moody scored to make it 1-1. Despite Old Boys' efforts Winstons' defence held firm and no further goals came. Stars for Old Boys were Andy McLuskey, Ian Masons and Philadelphia Douglas.