Darlington virtually banished any lingering relegation fears this week, following up last Saturday's battling 2-2 draw at home to leaders Hartlepool United with a crucial 2-1 win over promotion-chasing York City at Feethams on Tuesday night.

The two derby results have left Quakers in 17th place in division three, eight points clear of the relegation places.

It was a memorable four days for leading scorer Barry Conlon, who opened the scoring against Pool and grabbed the winner against his former Minstermen team-mates with only three minutes left.

It looked as though Mick Tait's men would have to settle for yet another draw on Tuesday, so the caretaker manager was delighted with the three points.

He had kept faith with the team which performed so well against Hartlepool and Danny Mellanby celebrated his second start of the season with the opening goal after half an hour.

The striker showed he can provide Quakers with a vital cutting edge when he produced a fine finish after latching on to Conlon's flick on.

York equalised early in the second half with an excellent strike by Bullock, but the introduction of substitute Richard Hodgson after 77 minutes paid dividends for the home side.

Ten minutes later, the lively winger produced a good cross from the left and Conlon did the rest.

The big Irishman had given his side the lead as they more than matched fierce rivals Hartlepool in a bid to restore pride after the 4-1 battering at Victoria Park in September.

Conlon headed home a Ryan Valentine free kick to give Darlington a half-time lead, but a triple whammy put the visitors in control soon after the break.

First a push by Matt Clarke on Eifion Williams gave Adam Boyd the chance to equalise from the penalty spot, then Darrell Clarke's fine header put Hartlepool in front.

It looked like game over when Valentine was sent off for a second bookable offence just three minutes later, but Quakers showed tremendous spirit to fight their way back.

Skipper Craig Liddle equalised on the hour, heading in a free kick by Hodgson, who had just climbed off the bench.

Keeper Andy Collett made several good saves in the closing stages as Hartlepool put the ten men under increasing pressure, but Tait's troops held on for a deserved point.

The manager will be hoping for a similar level of commitment tomorrow, when Quakers visit third-placed Bournemouth. They then face a rearranged home game against Cambridge United on Tuesday night.