Darlington Church and Friendly League

Both Darlington RA Youth and Shildon Elm Road WMC did the League and themselves proud in the League Cup Final on Darlington FC's Feethams ground where they dished up an excellent game of football, the only thing to mare the game was the early injury to young Dean Lawson, we wish the boy a speedy recovery.

RA's Darren Kokes broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute, this after Ian McIntosh in Elm Roads goal had made several good stops to deny an earlier breakthrough, ten minutes into the second half the sides were level when Thomas Louden netted, the score remained at 1-1 until the 90 minutes were up sending the game into extra time, in the first period the game exploded into life as RA score twice in 12th and 14th minutes through Steve Gamble and Carl Moss, two minutes into the second period Daniel Connelly made it 4-1, the game wasn't all over as Elm bounced back with a double from Darryl Meadows but time was not on their side leaving RA Youth 4-3 victors.

Darlington RA Youth and Aycliffe Saints who were tying at the top met at the RA ground, the result being an astonishing six nil victory for the Youth side who dominated for much of the game. Darren Kokes led his line well and finished with a hat-trick, one apiece went to Carl Moss, Daniel Connelly and Ross Wetherell.

The third and fourth placed sides Stillington The Royal and Shildon Elm Road WMC met at Stillington with the Shildon side taking the points 4-3, with the wind causing problems the players kept getting caught out, after an even first half which end at 1-1 there were five goals in the first 15 minutes of the second when the sides took turns in scoring, Simon Hares scored all three for The Royal with Richard Nash (2), Thomas Louden and Ian Wickens replying for Elm Road.

Chris Bellwood and Neil Bell both grabbed a pair as Hurworth Otter & Fish defeated Newton Aycliffe Navy Club 4-0 in a well contested end of season game, in the only other game to take place Darlington GSOB got the better of Darlington AFC Greyhound 2-0, both sides had chances but the two that counted came from Peter Gray and Mark Sowerby.

Longhorn Hardware Darlington and District League

League Challenge Cup final

Newton Aycliffe 1, The Albion 4

A Feethams crowd of 169 saw Albion take the lead after only two minutes when Christopher Robinson cutely back heeled home a corner on the volley. Aycliffe recovered their composure and took the game to their opponents to be rewarded with an equaliser from David Stannard. John Banks then pounced on a loose ball and shot home via a post from the edge of the area to restore Albion's lead.

Fifteen minutes from time Gary Mitchell's close ranger was only parried by Aycliffe keeper Chris Wilson and the ball ballooned in the air and dropped in the net despite a defender's efforts to clear.

Substitute Gavin Bell secured the trophy for Albion with a goal in the final minute.

Grey Horse 1, The Albion 11.

This emphatic win took Albion within four points of the championship. Kevin Baines (4), Chris Robinson (2), Adrian Weston (2), Mark Harris, John Banks and Rodney Brown scored at regular intervals.

Shuttle and Loom 1, Post Boy 5.

Shuttle's defeat consigned them to their worst league position since joining the league. David Arrowsmith's first half goal was mere consolation, but once again Terry Greenstreet gained the man of the match award to make it ten for the season.

Monday, May 12

Grey Horse 3, East End WMC 4.

A cracking match saw East End triumph by the odd goal in seven. Grey Horse can consider themselves unlucky as two efforts were disallowed. Darren Tate (2) and Stephen Appleby were their scorers.

Newton Aycliffe 1, The Albion 10.

The silly season was in evidence at Aycliffe as the home side decided to muck about with team selection and were rewarded with their heaviest defeat of the season. Albion were delighted that this win took them level on points with league leaders Killinghall Arms and they required one point from their final game against East End on Wednesday to take the title. James Miller scored Aycliffe's consolation.

Post Box 0, Hole in the Wall 1

Another cracking encounter which saw play ebb and flow throughout the 90 minutes with both clubs enjoying spells on top. Howver, it was not until ten minutes from the end that the deadlock was broken when David Wilson diverted a cross towards goal that was turned in by a defender. Post Boy stepped up the pressure, but Wall defended stoutly to record a very welcome win.

T M Disco Crook & District League

West Auckland Queens Head clinched the league title with a 3-1 victory over Willington WMC in the final league game. Queens scored through Wayne Dobinson (2) and an own goal and Willington replied through Andrew Howard. The champions won twelve games during an unbeaten thirteen match run in.

The Queens Head had earlier beaten Bishop Rugby Club 3-1 to win the Albert Vickers Cup. Simon Sowerby gave Rugby Club the lead but goals from Anthony Bailes, Matthew Mofatt and Wayne Dobinson took the cup to West Auckland.

Despite winning thirteen of their last fourteen league games Rugby Club end the season in runners up spot. In the final game a goal in each half from Mark Foster and Jonathan Breckon proved enough to beat Stanhope Town 2-0.

P W D L Pts

West Auckland Queens 22 17 4 1 55

Bishop Rugby Club 22 17 1 4 52

Crook Wanderers 22 15 1 6 46

Willington WMC 22 12 6 4 42

Byers Green St Peters 22 13 3 6 42

Crook White Swan 22 8 3 11 27

Roddymoor 22 7 6 9 27

Howden Australian 22 7 5 10 26

Stanhope Town 22 5 3 14 18

Evenwood White Swan 22 4 2 16 14

Tow Law Cattle Mart 22 3 4 15 13

Wearhead United 22 2 6 14 12